PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Nelle Harper Lee, the author of "To Kill a Mockingbird," passed today at age 89. Of all of the books that I have had the pleasure of reading that one gave me the most, and provoked the most thought during and long afterward.
Rest in peace Miss Lee.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just one masterpiece, but it was enough. A great woman and a most interesting life.

Hats off, gents

Hat%20in%20Handdesat-Edit.jpg

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Sad news. I'm glad she lived a full life. I heard there was another novel to be published some years ago and there was some controversy surrounding it. Then I heard nothing more. Has anyone else heard of it or read it?

deuce26

Can't Leave
Jan 29, 2014
Slidell, Louisiana
Unbelievable book. I haven't read the new one she wrote for fear it would ruin To Kill A Mockingbird, but I have it sitting on my shelf. Why she didn't write more I don't know, but she left us with a novel for the ages!

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
RIP Harper Lee, but IMHO your Carson McCullers shot all and any mockingbird before it could reach maturity.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Go Set a Watchman" is about Scout as an adult. Her father, Atticus, is apprehensive of the changes in race relations in the 1950s. He's not a fan of the changes nor the Federal Government's meddling in what he perceives to be state concerns.
The release of the book caused a bit of an uproar with the press. Atticus has become human and not the super-hero many readers wished him to be. If one hadn't read the "To Kill a . . . " the book could be construed as making the revered Atticus into a racist. I saw it as more the story of an old man questioning his life and the changing world about him. But, I saw no trace of racism in Atticus. He simply aged into what many of us have become in old age, a bit confused with the speed and size of the changes rapidly taking place. He realizes his life and beliefs have led to some consequences which he is not happy with. And, yes he is a man with prejudices.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Warren, that is a great summary of "Go Set a Watchman". I had not read TKAM for decades and re-read it before reading Watchman. I enjoyed Watchman and didn't think it diminished TKAM at all.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Some authors only have one yarn inside them. "Go Set a Watchman" is every bit the book "To Kill . . . " was. I think it completes the story, gives us the full measure of Atticus. The movie tended to enlarge "Scout's" importance. The girl is just the vehicle for the story in both books. Of course, without her there's no one to tell the tale.
Miss Lee had the one story and she told it well. Rest her soul.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Some authors only have one yarn inside them. "Go Set a Watchman" is every bit the book "To Kill . . . " was. I think it completes the story, gives us the full measure of Atticus. The movie tended to enlarge "Scout's" importance. The girl is just the vehicle for the story in both books. Of course, without her there's no one to tell the tale.
Miss Lee had the one story and she told it well. Rest her soul.

Down here in the land of the yellow hammer, we gots folks that think of themselves as story tellers, not authors as much. She spoke at my college graduation and her story is that of one of the great story tellers, just talking to great crowds of people, telling her story. We have quite a culture of folks that led remarkable lives, with things to teach us about living on this planet. She's a special one, and the world is a little bit better.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Cosmic: Séanchaidhe is the Irish term for the old storytellers, or ones who kept the lore, the oral history and legends, in their heads. An honored profession it was. A good story teller is to be revered in my book. And, Miss Lee told a great oral history about a tumultuous time in our country. You're lucky to live where the story teller is still admired.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm celebrating the life of Umberto Eco. Harper Lee was a political creation and her book is saccharine goop.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Eco spins a good yarn also. But, I have no idea why he would find his way into this thread. Or, why you would feel the need to interject your observation into a tidy little thread more or less dedicated to Harper Lee.

Status
Not open for further replies.