PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
Some of us remember the story of General Hal Moore as portrayed by Mel Gibson in the movie, "We Were Soldiers."
image.jpg

From http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/hal-moore-portrayed-by-actor-mel-gibson-in-we-were-soldiers-dies-at-age-94:

"The general is best known for his actions during the Battle of Ia Drang, where he served as the commander of 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment.
Within 20 minutes of the first shot of that deadly battle, Moore's battalion was vastly outnumbered and assaulted by hundreds of enemy furiously determined to overrun the Americans, according to the Army.
After a three-day bloodbath, the enemy quit the field, leaving more than 600 of their dead on the battlefield.
Moore was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the nation's second highest award for valor, for his actions during that battle.
Moore was commissioned as a second lieutenant of infantry after graduating from West Point in 1945, according to the Army. He served with the 187th Glider Infantry Regiment in Sapporo, Japan, then was reassigned to the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. There, he volunteered for the Army's Airborne Test Section, where he jump tested experimental parachutes, making more than 130 test jumps in two years.
Moore then was assigned to the 17th Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division, where he commanded a heavy mortar company and an infantry company, according to the Army. He served as a regimental operations officer during the Korean War before serving at Fort Benning and undergoing air assault and mobility training and testing."

Guess I'll go find and listen to a youtube of the song Garryowen.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My father, 97, is a retired SGM. I told him about Moore's passing, he said that they worked together in Japan and he was a good man. My dad doesn't show much emotion these days, but I could tell that hearing this made him sad.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great book he wrote, with one of the best titles ever, and titles are difficult to do. Many great books have so-so titles. I confess, I wish the general had not jumbled the historical cavalry uniform with the modern medals and ribbons. I think one uniform at a time is appropriate. Many have called into question the stacking on of ribbons in the modern military. If General Grant ever wore medals even on his dress uniform, I haven't seen the photo of it, or Robert E. Lee for that matter. If these exist, I think they wore just two or three rows, if that. Mere face recognition announced their legends.

Status
Not open for further replies.