PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Lost an incredible hero on July 2nd. Attached is a link to a 35 minute video about his life made in 1998 during the Nagano, Japan olympics--it's how I first leaned about him. I've used the video in my history classes and it's one of the things former students always say they always remember. CBS and Bob Simon did an amazing job of brining his story to new generations. Of course, Laura Hillenbrand's "Unbroken" is even more recent and a fantastic read and is being made into a movie. If you don't know his story (or even if you do) and have about 35 minutes, I would encourage you to click the link. The actual documentary starts around 1:48.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVFsx9fA19w

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Pipefish:
Many thanks for mentioning Laura Hillenbrand's book. Not that I have any part in it; it's just occasionally overlooked in the wake of the forthcoming movie. Hillenbrand is a brilliant writer -- she also wrote "Seabiscuit," which, you may recall, also became a movie -- and she sometimes doesn't get the accolades she's due. (For instance, I had to chastise a USA Today writer -- sorry, can't call her a journalist -- who recently referred to "Unbroken" as a novel. . . )
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.