PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
He leaves us at 87.
The United States Marine Corps released a statement on Nabors: "Semper Fi, Gomer Pyle. Rest in peace Jim Nabors, one of the few to ever be named an Honorary Marine
-Wikipedia

I grew up on Andy Griffith’s show. Heck, being a small redhead, I was called Opey till I was old enough to grow a goatee. My dad took me and my grandmother to see him sing back in the 80’s. He had a wonderful voice, but at my age, I was bored out of my mind, until the very end, when he bowed and gave that iconic grin and said, “Ga-ah Lee,” and the crowd jumped to their feet in roaring applause. Soon after, Rock Hudson passed of aids, and rumors were all over about him and Jim. So, I was surprised when I had heard this today. I, I, I just assumed, since not hearing anything from him for almost 40 years that he had passed away too. I’m glad to learn that he has been married for 38 years, and has led a happy long life. “Surprise, surprise!”

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Also about him...
Nabors was also known for singing "Back Home Again in Indiana" prior to the start of the Indianapolis 500, held annually over the Memorial Day Weekend. He sang the unofficial Indiana anthem almost every year from 1972 until his final time in 2014, except for occasional absences due to health or other scheduling conflicts ...

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
As Weezell said, he sang Back Home Again In Indiana before the race nearly every year I’ve been alive, he was also an honorary Hoosier, whilst not as prestigious as being an honorary Marine, he was considered one of us. He will be missed.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
RIP Jim...and thanks for keeping Barney in line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efgLHgsBmM

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I liked Jim as a Marine more than his garage guy on The Andy Griffith Show. The incongruity of both his innocent nature in the military and the occasional use of his cultivated singing voice gave his character an interesting depth. I give a lot of credit to his co-star drill sergeant whose focused energy and endless exasperation set up many of the jokes. It was a great duet.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Frank Sutton was Jim's "straight" man, good old Sgt. Carter. I had seen him in a performance of "The Odd Couple" on stage, long ago. Never got to see Jim Nabors in person though. Gomer Pyle, USMC was probably my favorite show growing up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rig', thanks for the prompt on Frank Sutton, a gifted comedic actor. He had immense energy and vitality, really came across as the beleaguered Sarge. Without that, Gomer's character would have been too sweet and droopy, but the Sarge made it truly funny.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I see from wikipedia that Frank Sutton died in 1974 in Louisiana while appearing in a play, of a heart problem, in his fifties. Remembered today along with his co-star.

Status
Not open for further replies.