PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I had a few pickins with Gregg in 1972-73 when I was really getting into my guitar (or as much as a 9 year old could). The band would spend weeks at a time as a retreat on St. Simons Island where I grew up. Cut my teeth trying to learn some of his riffs. He will be missed. Eat a peach, Gregg!

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
That's cool, doc. Berry Oakley's replacement, Lamar Williams was from Gulfport, Miss. and I worked with his brother, Kirby for a few months before I went off to college. Kirby was a bass player, too and mostly gigged locally. I've heard stories of band members hanging out with Lamar here on the Coast, but I was a little too young to hang in that circle at the time. Greg and Duane founded a fine band. Indeed, eat a peach, Greg.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wow...really sorry to hear this. Little by little, one by one, an entire era is passing away. So much music that has, and will continue to, stand the test of time...unlike so much of the pabulum that permeates the pop culture today.
RIP Gregg...you and Duane have some catching up to do.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
They would stay at Epworth By The Sea and did a lot with the kids groups there. My parents knew the right folks to connect. I am pretty sure anyone could have joined in but luckily few actually hung out and played. They were not household names at the time.

moses

Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Bummer! That explains my having woken up this morning with them statesboro blues though.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I like to discover new music and don't much listen to music of my youth, but you have to admit that era of southern rock was damn special-- Allman Brothers, Wet Willie, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshal Tucker-- and it defined much of that decade.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I agree! The Allman Brothers paved the way for so many southern rock bands...Now, hell, I could probably put together a Platinum album with autotune and singing in a nasally whine. I cannot listen to the radio ... same songs, same horrible sound with rare moments of talent.
We need more Gregg, the Van Zants, hell, just about anyone with musical talent from the 60s through the mid 80s.

Jun 27, 2016
That's a pretty cool story, aquadoc. I have some Allman Bros on vinyl from a collection that was passed along to me, and it's one of the best records out of the lot. I'll have to spin it tonight for Gregg Allman.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Doc, there's a lot of good music and talent out there and you're right, it's not on the radio. I won't post links (a pain on my phone), but go to YouTube and check out Drive by Truckers, Dirty South album for some good recemt southern rock. Also check out MOFRO, albums Black Water and Loch Loosa. MOFRO is more greazy swamp rock with funk undertones, but distinctly southern.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
In the past year and a half, since Dec. 3, 2015, we have lost: Scott Weiland, Lemmy Kilmister, David Bowie, Glenn Frey, Keith Emerson, Merle Haggard, Prince, Greg Lake, Butch Trucks, Chuck Berry, Chris Cornell and now Gregg Allman. I suppose that since most of the music I listen to was made in the 60's, 70's and 80's, it is only natural that we are losing all of this talent, however.....there doesn't seem to be anyone replacing the talent we have lost.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Love the Drive By Truckers. They were coming into their own when I was a grad student. Athens has a great music scene. And if the walls could speak. Will check out MOFRO.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
there doesn't seem to be anyone replacing the talent we have lost.
That's what culture crash looks like. There are fewer talented people -- Darwinism selects for the merchants, not the artists -- and the ones that have talent stay out of the industry, because they know if that Justin Bieber succeeds, Beethoven would starve.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
^ Yup
RIP Gregg
Your music was piped through the intercom of my HMMWV on a lot of convoys through Afghanistan. (I controlled the music)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There's plenty of talent today, but it's more hidden than before. Today, mass merchandising has taken over many outlets for music, so we have Biebers and Swifts, etc. getting a lot of play.
There are tons of independent outlets for talent, but they need to be sought out.
And it's sad to have lost so many lights of the 60's and 70's. RIP, GA!

Status
Not open for further replies.