PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
The world lost an awesome man today. One of my childhood icons. Ive seen every Andy Griffith episode and every Matlocks. He will be missed. No hookers, no beat up wife, no drugs, no DUI to cover up. Just a nice guy, dont make celebs like him anymore.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I agree wholeheartedly that he portrayed a role model but he was an actor. My mom briefly dated a guy years ago who worked in Hollywood for forty years as a set lighter. He'd spent the last couple of years of his career working on the "Matlock" set and said that Griffith wasn't always the person that he portrayed. According to him Griffith was oftentimes abusive with his language and prone to tantrums. I was shocked when he said that. Griffith was the yardstick for paternal to avuncular to grandfatherly onscreen and to me that's the way I'll always remember him.
Cajun, as much as I loved "No Time for Sergeants" I always enjoyed "A Face in the Crowd" more. That movie is still a treat for me to this day and I put it right up there alongside Burt Lancaster's performance in "Elmer Gantry."

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Knowing or hearing Andy use/used abusive language is not surprising as he was human. I think considering something "abusive" language tells me more about the person bothered by it than the person using it.
I had also forgotten about Face in the crowd, need to see if I can get my hands on it now. Thanks!

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Andy Griffith had a dark side as mentioned. He was moody, couldn't give a crap about his fans, and generally wasn't a nice person, in person. I readily admit I am more a fan of the man he portrayed (Sheriff Taylor) than I am of the real man. That being said, God bless him and may he rest in peace.
:puffpipe:

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Very sad day for me, since I run a small forum about The Andy Griffith Show, and just finished rewatching all 8 seasons on DVD for probably the 25th time. At least now Andy and Barney are back together again.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
At lunch, the salesman was talking about a client whose walls are covered in Andy Griffith photos,etc. He goes to the Mt.Airy, NC annual events and dresses up like Barney, but he said that the guy has told him that there are lots of people up there who resented the fact that Andy had never showed up in all the years they have held it.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
He and Billy Graham are probably the two most famous North Carolina natives.In his show he promoted the good side of life here in Carolina.Though life here is far more modern and hecitc these days his theme that folks should respect and care about each other still is much respected..North Carolina has lost a cherished friend.

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
The world lost a great role model today with his passing. :(
His legend will live on for years in his movies and series.
I grew up, like several of you did, watching all his shows and

I'll continue to do so......

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yes, R.I.P. Andy. But I suspect what his passing really symbolizes...what we are really saying R.I.P. to...is the passing away of the America depicted in Mayberry. Made all the more poignant occurring on this eve of the 4th July. R.I.P. to Andy...and R.I.P. to the old Republic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wL9Li0f1Po
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBuPQgV8yBM

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Maybe, the Andy Griffith show should be required watching for all high school students. It definitely taught common decency and morals, which are things that are slowly fading in our society.

terry

Oct 7, 2011
Really liked the old black and white movies..great series.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Andy Griffith was an icon of rural America, and even if he wasn't the man he portrayed on screen, that is the man for which he will be remembered. He will be missed.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Here is craziness...........

Last night there was a tribute to Don Knots on and naturally they interviewed Andy G. and I looked at my wife and said "alive or dead" we weren't sure.....................Jinxed.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
+1 Brian64

Who takes his place ? Snooky ? CHarlie Sheen ?

Andy was so mean, he never went to the Fan Club meeting, he lost his temper and yelled on set. What is that next to the hollow creatures they put on a pedestal today ?

One more small piece of what is good in this world is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.