PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Last week I placed my first TAD order with 4noggins. I ordered various tins of VA flakes, 100g of Frog Morton, a pound of PS Cube Cut for cellaring and some cleaning supplies. I like 4noggins as it is the only place that offers free shipping to Alaska for orders over $95 ( 15 bucks for Priority Mail is, after all, a tin or two or 4-6 oz of bulk baccy ). I had spoken to Rich on the phone about Balkan blends, Sasieni vs PS Balkan Supreme, that sort of thing. He was kind enough to include a sample of Rincon de la Pipa #1 in the box.
First impressions:
- a very nice strong Balkan note, very noticeable. Warranted a "you got some of that sh*t smelling tobacco again, didn't you?" from the wife. Sharp, but not overwhelming.
- bit on the dry side from the baggie. Fairly coarse strands, mostly yellowish brown.
I loaded an Amphora X-tra straight apple which was freshly cleaned an scraped and went to work on on a full bowl.
Took fire really nice, no charring needed. Lots of smoke. Campfire and old leather but not extremely spicy tasting. Halfway through the bowl I got a Nic kick. Tastes like it smells from the bag. Creamy smoke, but lots of body. Very rich oriental taste, no extra flavors added. Burns very cool to a nice white ash. Gently tamped it some toward the end which was a mistake, because it bit me pretty hard. I smoked it outdoors on my walk so no idea on room note, but there were no complaints from Momma when I returned.
Smoked another bowl from same pipe this morning with coffee on the way to work. I really took my time with it. It went out on me once. Thanks to slow traffic I was able to relight, without tamping of course. Just scraped the ashes out. It got really really Oriental right before the finish line, but it didn't attack me. Leaves a nice old leather scent in the car ..... I usually crack the windows to air out while I smoke on the ride, but it was 8 degrees F so I had just the sunroof open.
This is a good quality solid smoke. I'll have to get a half pound next time and cellar it. Makes a nice breakfast treat. I could smoke it all day too.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Very nice review thanks for taking the time.
My wife always says something similar about Oriental heavy blends.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
4noggins is great. I have made two orders from them now and both arrived within 10 days to Australia and well packed. Shipping is $20+ to me but it beats paying $50 for a single tin of Petersons locally.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Update 03 May 2012 : I finally acquired a tin of Balkan Sasieni and I must say Rich's "El Rincon de la Pipa #1" is an exact match, save the cut of the tobacco and tin aroma. While Sasieni is a fine cut ribbon, almost like RYO, El Rincon has a "bits and pieces" approach. The bag note of ERDP, if I may abbreviate it as such, is not as strong as Sasieni either.

Status
Not open for further replies.