PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
What is the prefered method of cleaning the pipe's rim? I have heard of anything more elaborate than spit and cloth. Is there a way, a solvent, or solution that can be safely used to clean rims without harming the stain or wood of the rim?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For small smudges, coffee or saliva with thumb squeegeeing works fine, but for larger deeper deposits, perhaps Murphy's Oil Soap would work?

Good question, one I need more dope on.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
For the really charred rim on estate pipes i have just lapped them flat on a piece of 2000 grit sandpaper, and then given a quick tripoli polish and carnauba wax buff. If you are trying to keep a stain colour or a non smooth finish on the rim then this is not so applicable.
Isaac

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's great for small deposits, but what's the best for big jobs? Leaving out charred rims, just heavily coated ones, where the briar is unscathed underneath the black stuff.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Drink a big cup of coffee with cream and sugar then start working up some nice thick spit. Coat the rim and then use a soft cloth and rub it good and you will be amazed at what comes off. Do it a few times if need be. Gotta have nice thick spit, none of that thin crap.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Viscous spittle, then, eh?
Damn, I have a tiny head cold, and my spit is thick, but nasty. Might remove more than the gunk! I will wait for morning coffee. Cappuccino O.K.?? :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
jpmcwjr, a head cold, that is perfect. Blow your nose, get some of that thick green stuff and have at it. No need to wait for morning coffee.
But I want to remove gunk from the rim! :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Q-tips and water will work for very light deposits, coffee and thumb pressure, heavier gunk, but I am looking for big removal of year's worth of stuff.

I am looking for big removal of year's worth of stuff.
Use spit to lubricate a razor blade as you carefully shave off the gunk, and then when you have the bulk of it off, just use the regular spit/coffee and a rag. I also have a piece of medium shag carpet tacked to a board for rubbing the rim on before racking. I started this when I accidentally found that rubbing my pipe rim on the floor really cleaned and polished the rim well. But, then my wife caught me... so the carpet remnant on a board prevents flying frying pans. YMMV

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've tried the lemon juice as a solvent; with a little shaving with a blade, that seems to get rid of the worse. There still remains some darkening which I suspect is permanent, short of taking off stain.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I think that's ok. A pipe is made for smoking. To me rim ,darkening only matters if you are one day going to sell it and if you are one day going to sell it, you probably shouldn't even smoke it.
Which begs the question, why buy it?
I try not to stress too much about it. I pretty much succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.