PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I recently purchased a diamond shanked bent billiard/apple pipe stamped 'Rich's Cigar Store' on one side and 'Italy' on the other.
All I have managed to find out is they are based in Portland, Oregon but no mention of who makes/made their pipes. Does anyone here have any idea?
Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
Regards,
Jay.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I know at one time their house pipes were made by Savinelli. As a matter of fact, the first Savinellis I owned was Rich's Cigar branded pipe.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks Cortez, I shall contact them via your link.
As for possibly being made by Savinelli that would be interesting if it turns out to be so as it's a brand I hitherto haven't had the pleasure of.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know Rich's, so I can't help. However, I have noticed over the years that many retailers change sourcing on their house pipes. And once they've changed the source, the institutional memory about who supplied earlier pipes becomes murky very fast. Tinderbox was able to suggest the probability that my first pipe, bought in the 1970's, was probably a Chacom. Iwan Ries sourced their from Edwards/Benton for years, but changed to an unnamed Italian source a few years ago. L.L. Bean had pipes maybe made by Dr. Grabow years ago. And I am at a loss to find out who made house pipes for Thompson Cigar, though the one I have is stamped "West Germany." Someone pointed out that house pipe sources are not advertised, kept somewhat secret, so as not to compete with the pipe makers themselves, to the degree possible.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Good luck with getting info from Rich's. I can't see myself going back there, as the last time I was there my friend and I were treated like garbage and their customer service was horrible. The so called tobacconist was put off by my friend and I inquiring about a couple pipes, and asking about a couple of their house blends. I bought a couple tins (which I shouldn't have) and then left.
As for the pipe possibly being a Savinelli; its possible it was made in the Savinelli factory which does make other pipes. Those pipes are typically different shapes than the Savinelli line pipes. Hopefully you get a response and can learn about the pipe. Good luck and enjoy the pipe.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I really should have uploaded pictures on my first post.....ah well, better late than never.
Hopefully this might help matters.....
14-600x265.jpg

24-600x432.jpg

34-600x337.jpg

44.jpg

The images by the way are not my own, they were made by the seller.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.