PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
Does anyone know of a ribbon cut VaPer to replace Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I haven't tried Elizabethan yet, but I've enjoyed Viprati and AJ's VaPer (H&H). I'm also recently fascinated with this GL Pease Sixpence, which adds a bit of Dark Fired for a nice "bass note" to the flavor.
jay-roger.jpg

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I have to agree with Bradley (Stuff and Things) the Sutliff Match Elizabethan misses by quite a bit.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I like the Dunhill Elizabethan Match quite a bit, and it certainly is more like the Murray's than the current version, which is nothing like the older production. Anybody who has smoked the Murray's knows the comparison between that and the re-release is night and day. And comparing the new version to the Murray's is like comparing a gila monster to a pomegranate.
Is the Match close to the Murray's? In some ways yes, but in some ways, no. The Murray's had a sprinkling of lemon Va. and a little more spice than the Match. But, in it's own right, I think the Match is a worthwhile VaPer.
Here's my review of the Match:
I’ve compared this to the original (which once was a regular smoke for me) and I'd say this blend is fairly close, but not an exact match. It’s certainly closer than the current DE production by Dunhill, which I consider to be inferior to both the original and the Sutliff Match. The Murray’s version was a little more complex in taste, and had just a little more bright lemon Virginia. The perique is very peppery in both, slightly more plumy here. The brown Virginia is virtually identical: a little grass and earth with some citrus. As much as I liked the Murray’s product, I would say this is as close as you can get. A little more sprinkling of citrusy, spicy floral lemon Va., and it’d virtually be the same. Because the new version is different from the Murray’s, which is what the Match attempted to copy, I would not consider them to be similar. The proportion of ingredients in the new Dunhill version is different, and is a shag cut , which the original never was. Nor is this Match, which is ribbon cut.
The nic-hit here is in the center of mild to medium, which is a tad less than the Murray’s version. The strength level is closer to medium than it is to mild, while the Murray’s was medium. No chance of bite or harshness is present. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a very consistent flavor. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, slightly lingering after taste, and stronger room note. Can be an all day smoke for most people.
The Murray’s version of DE was one of the very few blends m'lady openly complained about. When they quit making it, she was very happy. A couple of years back, I tried the Match for the first time. Five minutes after I started smoking it, she came back to the studio and said, "Are you smoking that crap again? I thought they quit making it." Telling me that she recognized the smell after several years just struck me kinda funny. That, besides the taste, amplified my assessment that the Match is close indeed. I gave the Murray's version four stars. Couldn't do that for the new release, which is a two star blend. This gets four stars.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
With a name like Dafydd you must surely be a fellow Welshman? If you are you may find you get plenty of replies including American blends we can't really get easily in the UK. It's a good question you pose, though and it's one I have been pondering for a while too.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Unfortunately I never had a chance to smoke the Murray's Elizabethan so I was comparing the Sutliff with the current version of EM.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Prairiedruid: then I can see why you had the opinion you had. The new stuff is virtually a completely different blend from the original, which Sutliff attempted to match.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The only thing that comes to mind that resembles the current DE is Lane's 125th Anniversary blend.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Gila monster, you can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it, there's gila kebobs, gila creole, gila gumbo, you can pan fry it, deep fry it, stir fry it, there's pine apple gila, lemon gila, coconut gila, pepper gila, gila salad, gila burgers, gila sandwich...that's just about it.
:D

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've personally matched Elizabethan (I loved the old Murray's version), by taking two parts Gawith Full Virginia Flake and rubbing the fool out of it until it was as ribbon as I could get it. I then added one part McClelland's Acadian Ribbon and then threw in some old Percy Martin Farms Perique from the 1990's. I put the concoction in a Mason Jar for a few years after first sampling it fresh, and love the result. I'm no Gloria Childs but think it was my greatest invention since learning how to boil water... which is still a challenge for me. )-:

Status
Not open for further replies.