PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Leave the fat side up in the roasting pan, do some shallow criss-cross cuts into the fat, but not through it. Give it a nice rub with fresh garlic, coarse salt, pepper. Turn oven up to 425 and cook for 20 minutes, this will sear the outside so you won't lose as much juice. Turn down to 325 and cook until thermo reads 118 this will give a nice rare/medium rare. As Roth said, remove it and let rest (covered with loose foil) for 15-20 minutes. It will still keep cooking and raise another 5 or so degrees. Save the drippings and serve on the side.

I'm getting hungry!

Note: I always cut the bone away from the meat first ( in one piece), then placethe roast back into the rib cradle while it cooks. It's just easier for carving when you are done, and we always serve the gents a bone while the roast is resting!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Guys
I'm sooooooo hungry!
This is not on my diet plan. :)
PS-I love to place sliced up cloves of garlic into the meat while its cooking.

Aug 1, 2012
Roth, you are my hero. That is some great info.
don"t over season
And that's the other key, Bradley gives great advice here. A good bit of beef needs nothing more than a little salt and pepper if it's been aged and cut correctly.
Finally, if you have a local butcher that offers different "finishes" on their beef I always go grass finished as I love that unique flavor. Skip corn finished if you can as it makes the beef flavor "fade" in my tastes.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Just keep it simple and it will turn out great. I use Jane's crazy mixed up salt to season rib roasts, rib eyes, ham burgers and whole chickens. It is not over powering. Very nice salt, pepper, and light on the herbs. Lets the flavor of the meat speak for itself.
http://www.janeskrazy.com/products.asp?idProduct=46
Side dishes, creamed spinach, wedge salad with buttermilk blue cheese dressing, baked taters.

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
Buy it a week early and Dry Age it in your fridge. It will intensify the flavor of the beef.
Remove roast from packaging, rinse well. Pat completely dry, wrap with 3 layers cheesecloth. Place on a rack on a sheet pan in back of refrigerator, fat side up. After 24 hours, remove, unwrap, discard cheesecloth and wrap with a fresh piece. Place back in refrigerator for 6 to 9 days undisturbed.
Remove roast from refrigerator. Remove cheesecloth, cut away the fat and trim the ends and any discolored parts of roast.

Paula Dean's cooking method and simple seasoning are tough to beat.
Ingredients

1 (5-pound) standing rib roast

1 tablespoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
Directions
Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Rub roast with House Seasoning; place roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up. Roast for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 3 hours. About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. Important: Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.
House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Status
Not open for further replies.