PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I won a pretty nice bulldog from briarbid recently for very reasonable because it had some finish issues See it here. I love a bulldog and wanted this one just to experiment with fixing that gouge. Since getting it my son has decided he'd like to keep it and wants me to use the tannin/vinegaroon method Nic shared to highlight the grain. I don't have any of the tannin so the entire process will be finished down the road a bit.
That stain was some potent stuff: neither Formby's or a 24 hour alcohol soak removed it. So, I ended up sanding it off (save for around the nomenclature) and sanding the gouge smooth. It's been buffed and waxed now and will eventually be restrained with the procedure Nic shared, as I stated.
photo1-8.jpg

photo2-8.jpg

photo3-5.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think it would look awsome to keep the more natural look on it mate. I am not a big fan of Stain, but I am sure it will look good, whatever route you take.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I have got to start remembering to get that wax out of those "lines" around the top of the bowl! :roll:
Thanks for the input, guys. I showed my son the consensus thus far and it looks like we're going to leave her as she is! FWIW, I really prefer that natural look, too.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Greg,
That's quite a dark color for briar - did you sand down to the bare wood?
You can also maybe save some of the dust that comes off while sanding and mix some "briar superglue" that you could use to fill the gash ;-)
Looks great so far!

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Yes, I took it all the way down except on the shank. There may have been a bit of stain left near the bowl/shank junction but to get the gouge out and smooth one fill I had to go fairly deep. I had planned on doing the briar dust/super glue but was out if glue. And I absentmindedly shop vacc'ed the dust up after I finished! Guess I'll try that experiment on another test-subject. LOL My son took it with him last night to smoke on his lunch; he works midnights. Haven't heard how it did yet.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I found these before photos and thought I'd add them.
photo1-4.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

photo3-4.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

You can really see that gouge here that I had to sand down to remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.