PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Excitement for the day! I got a lot of stems off ebay. I bought the lot of 16 stems specifically because it had a silver rondel GBD stem in it. The stem has a bite through on the bottom, but I can fix it. You guys showed me how. So, today I started refurbishing the pipe, since the stem actually FITS it. Grin....
The before...
37236961061_ae0fa7bbcb_z_d.jpg

36567326253_296287ebfc_z_d.jpg

The white spots on the shank are tape residue. There is a small crack in the shank, which I glued.
And after reaming and cleaning the stummel. It cleaned up pretty good.
36982039670_001bbe0c6b_z_d.jpg

36982038930_1e7a11d0ec_z_d.jpg

It had heavy cake clear to the bottom of the bowl.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I don't think that is the proper stem for the pipe, but it works for me. I looked for pics of originals and this seems close.
I ended up with 9 pipes out of my pile of estate bowls without stems that I can now attempt repair and refurbishment. That was a good find on ebay. Should keep me busy for a while.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Nice start. Looks like the right style and era for the brass rhondelle[sic] stem."
The 'brass roundel' is actually made of aluminium with a this brass coating. When one sees a silver coloured roundel it's simply lost its brass coating.
Regards,
Jay.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Wow, thanks for the updated info. I'm glad I found that set of stems. The fix for the bite hole will be interesting too. I found my blocks of delrin yesterday, so I think I will try to make a tapered 'plug' to fit into the stem so the epoxy won't fill the draft hole.
OVERSIZE, LOL... the bowl in this thing is huge. It will smoke for half a day I think. :mrgreen:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"so I think I will try to make a tapered 'plug' to fit into the stem so the epoxy won't fill the draft hole."
Steady on. The best way to do that is to make a stiff cardboard former and coat it with Vaseline to prevent anything sticking. I would be very cautious using a plug in case that inadvertently got stuck.
Regards,
Jay.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I thought I would show this neat little clamp. It is just a plastic modeling tool, but very handy. It is non-marring, and exerts plenty of force for this type of work. Here it is holding the shank crack closed while the glue sets.
36544560454_a87bc47182_z_d.jpg

And just for reference, I was told on the pipe makers forum that I should use a Delrin plug for the mouthpiece on a repair like this one needs. Delrin is VERY slick and not much sticks to it. That is the only time I have seen a reference to using it for an epoxy resistant tool, but I will test it before I actually try it in a stem. I have two now that need the same treatment. I WILL report back the results of the tests.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I can't remember where I got them, but they are common and available on ebay. They work very well for this type of work. Also, slick plastic, so nothing much sticks to them.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I'm on a roll with estate pipe repairs. I have finished 11 of them in the last few days. Now on to the more difficult stuff.
I carved a bit of delrin to plug the bottom of this hole. Hopefully tomorrow the hole will be filled with epoxy and disappear. Then this pipe can go in the 'ready line'.
37685020895_16ec6d6dec_h_d.jpg

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I was told on the pipe makers forum that I should use a Delrin plug for the mouthpiece on a repair like this one needs.

Plastic sheeting, like the kind used for in-wall vapor barriers, will work just as well. The epoxy will peel right off as long as it's not wrinkled and the surface isn't abraded. Plus, it's more flexible than a slice of delrin. So, you can use it as a form for curved surfaces. I use the 4 mil stuff.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Thanks, good tip. The glue is curing on this and a half dozen other small repairs and a couple of large ones. I will remember the plastic sheeting recommendation.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Here is the stem with the plug in place and the glue curing. The fluidity of the glue got me on this one too, but it didn't hurt anything. The file was under the plug to hold it in place under the hole. I wiggled the file out, then the plug came right out. This one is waiting for final finishing now.
37904836984_a9256e7fc8_b_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.