PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I bought Wessex Burley Slice hoping that it would be something like the old Edgeworth Sliced. I was looking for a rich, full-flavor burley flake with a bit of nuttiness and a molasses sweetness. While WBS was OK, to my mind, it wasn't quite what I had hoped, so I put my tin away for a while and tried flakes I liked much better, like Solani Aged Burley Flake.
However, after leaving the open tin on the shelf for a few months, the flakes are noticeably drier and lighter in color. More importantly, the taste is markedly different. What had been a so-so, dark flake with middle-of-the-road flavor has turned into a fantastic, nutty flake with molasses overtones -- exactly what I had been hoping for when I first bought the tin. Many blends and flakes are better dried out a bit, but this change was like night and day -- it wasn't just the moisture that had changed, but the flavor itself.
Anyhow, if you are disappointed by WBS, leave it for a couple of months and try it again. Totally different experience.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pitch, I have an open tin that I put away months ago because I did not care for the taste. I was hoping to revisit and see if I liked it any better, I will definitely go digging around for it and give it another go. I had done the same thing with ODF and when I tried it again, I fell in love, I am hoping this with be the case with the Wessex. Thanks for starting this thread.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
Thanks for the heads-up, PF; I have a couple tins aging now and will pop them open.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Hope this wasn't a fluke and that it works out well for you, too, Harris. Let us know if you notice any change or not.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will report back after trying it. If it is anything like ABF from Solani, I am not sure I will like it. For some reason that one does nothing for me, too much burley just ain't my thing I guess.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is great news. WBS tasted really skunky to me the first few times. I am looking forward to seeing what a a few months opened does for this blend. Thanks pitchfork.

Status
Not open for further replies.