PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Like War Horse Bar, the topping on my War Horse Green has started to settle down a few weeks after opening the tin. I can actually taste tobacco now, whereas before I could mainly taste an overwhelming anise flavor. (I still think the anise is a bit out of balance, but maybe that's just me.) I'm thinking this stuff will age really nicely -- not so much in terms of the Virginias, but insofar as the topping mellows and fades a bit.
In any case, the overall flavor is somewhat reminiscent of Condor Plug -- that weird combination of Worcestershire sauce, anise and linoleum. I know it was never meant to be a clone of Condor, but before it just tasted like War Horse Bar soaked in too much anise. Now it's more clearly a tobacco in the Condor style.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Linoleum? That's a new one. :rofl:
But I get your meaning, certain flavors remind us of different things in life, whether it seems to makes sense or not. I too like both the Bar and the Green, but haven't revisited them since opening them a month ago. Gonna have to try it now....

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I don't know -- I think it's the smell more than anything. (For the record, I've never smoked or licked linoleum.) I mean, what does Condor smell like? It reminds me of something, but I can't for the life of me say what. But for some reason I just think of linoleum. :crazy:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
People say that about me. I sent Shaintiques a Standard Tobacco shirt from the Chicago show and he remarked that it smelled of Condor when he opened the box!

baaron

Lurker
Aug 26, 2016
For me, War Horse Bar was love at first bowl. I've never gone through a single tin of tobacco so fast. Green was a bit overwhelming at first but after a couple days it mellowed out and now I like it as much as the bar.
I had no desire to try Condor before or after smoking War Horse but now that I've seen the two compared I have to try and get some.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Your not really missing anything as I think the SToP line tastes better and I have been an avid Condor smoker for decades but if you that keen to try just PM and I'll send you a sample of the Green Goddess.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
To me anise and anus are synonyms as well as homonyms. Reminds me of those long braded licorice sticks kids used to suck on when I was a kid, turning their lips and tongues black. Yuck. But some people love the stuff, judging from the number of blends I'm finding out are tainted--er, topped with it. Was about to get me some Peterson Irish Flake when I found out it was topped with anise.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I think I misspoke when I said it's topped with anise, I don't think it's topped with anything, just either it picks up anise from some unintended source during processing (like some of the SG blends pick up a hint of Lakeland essence from the surroundings), or else some chemical reaction in the blend produces what some people taste as resembling anise. I suppose I should risk buying a tin, given it otherwise sounds great. Worst-case I do a Linda Blair and projectile vomit across the room while my head spins 360, then flush the rest of the tin down the crapper.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
shutterbug,
Irish Flake is definitely cased (though probably not topped) with anise, but only a tiny bit. It doesn't really taste like anise (or anus) at all.
You'd be surprised how many blends have anise in them, but in such small amounts that you don't get that flavor per se.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Licorice root is many times sweeter than sugar. Although it is a very different sweetness. When I used to brew beer, I'd use licorice root to add a non-ferment-able sweetness to holiday/winter brews. I enjoy the flavoring (often mixed with anise) as a tobacco flavoring/additive also

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I still don't see it as a Condor-like smoke but I have been enjoying it much more now than when I first opened the tin. I still get a bit of a Playdough vibe which just doesn't taste right to me. It's unique for sure, I've never tasted that in any other tobacco. Still love the Ready Cut the best.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Your not really missing anything as I think the SToP line tastes better and I have been an avid Condor smoker for decades but if you that keen to try just PM and I'll send you a sample of the Green Goddess.

What? WHAT? A bit bias are we? I just can't agree with ya on that one. I absolutely love Condor and nothing comes close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.