PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
First of all let me say this: in a previous post I have stated that each tobacco is something in itself and it would be wrong to compare it with other tobaccos. Well, I stand corrected by the present experience with Peterson's Sherlock Holmes. My first go at it was nothing special. I popped the tin, and what I notice is a very sweet, honey like sweetness. The Virginia is quite visible, broad ribbon cut, and quite bright - tasty too, judging by the stains on the paper it had some age to it. The tobacco was so moist that the whole round brick off from the tin could hardly be taken apart to jar. I didn't leave it dry, just stuffed a pipe (9 mm - with my stomach I can't take any risks) and lit away. The first impression was that of a light tobacco. I mean, I could seem to detect some flavors, but they were all background ticklers to my tongue. I told myself this is not the way to go, so I dried the stuff for about 20 minutes (I do like my tobacco moist) and stuffed it in the same pipe in which I reviewed the Irish Oak. Different story, the mix seemed to open a whole lot better. I don't know if it's the pipe, but my impression is that Peterson uses the exact same Virginia as in the Oak. Same taste, same sweetness, except that your finishing bouquet is clearly Burley. It seems like a very Virginia forward blend that uses enough Burley to balance it off. So you have your sweetness in your fore front, and then as you puff and hold the smoke in your mouth the Burley kicks in mellowing it down, and making it a very enjoyable all day smoke. Opposite to the Oak, this lacks any of the topping that makes it dried fruity like, and obviously the pepper of the Perique. Smoking the Oak as you draw, then puff and then abuse the smoke a bit, the Perique lets its presence be known more and more, adding more and more spice to the smoke. Opposite, SH starts with the Virginia sweetness, finished by a melow Burley that makes you wind down and keep on puffing with no rush. I guess I can compare the Burley to a pleasant hand break, you draw in that sweet Virginia expecting it to open up more and more - possibly to the point where it will get hot and bite you, but before it gets a change to do that the Burley acts like a counter weight. Quite and interesting tobacco, that I almost overlooked. Also not a nicotine bomb, though it has plenty of it to keep you satisfied. 4.5/5 for me

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried Sherlock Holmes, but I find that, for me, burley usually adds something good to a blend. Nat Sherman 536 is among the most refined mild English blends, and it is given some interesting complexity by burley. Burley does nicely in PC MIdtown's Chestnut, by Russ O., for another example.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
This is actually the only tobacco I have a dedicated pipe for. In fact I just came from my local B&M and they were out of it so I'm going to have to order some more. Apparently others around here have discovered this blend and are after it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.