(21 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Blend Name: Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce

Description on Tin: Rich and Creamy Texture of Vanilla, Caramel and Honey

Leaf: Black Cavendish, Burley, Virginia

Tin Aroma: Vanilla, Honey, Caramel apples, melon, chocolate?

Taste: Vague background of tobacco. Some sweetness, but really shines on the retrohale. The flavors from the tin note come out when the smoke is tasted by the nose rather than the mouth. No spice on the retrohale so in my opinion it should routinely be passed through the nose. It’s really the sugary dessert birthday cake of tobaccos.

Strength and Nicotine: Negligible in both departments. Like an ultra featherweight if there were such a category in the pipe tobacco world.

Smokeability: Very smokeable. A little moist straight out of the tin, I probably should have let this dry a bit more before stuffing a bowl. But still it lit and smoked just fine in my Savinelli with a balsa filter in it (I kept it in to mitigate some of the moistness of the tobacco). I’m not normally an aromatic smoker and I usually don’t smoke more than a bowl or two every few days, but if I were forced to smoke only this for a day or two I think it would be tolerable.

Room Note: Possibly the best part of this blend is the room note. My girlfriend noted that it smelled good in the room, which is a compliment I seldom get when I smoke anything (like I said, no aros for me usually). So it gets a thumbs up in this department. The vanilla, honey, and caramel come out most in the room note.

Thoughts: It’s a classic aromatic, through and through. Nothing more and nothing less. Very solid if you like aromatics, and definitely something you could smoke all day. More akin to a candy and a dessert than a more natural tasting tobacco. But that’s some people’s bag, so it would be good for them. It’s not really my thing, so I really wouldn’t smoke it that often myself. But I may keep some around for when there’s “sensitive” company around.

Recommend to: Anyone that at least occasionally smokes aromatics. Solid offering that will please the people you’re with, and yourself if you enjoy sweet retrohales and less tobacco flavor.

Summary: Is it my favorite all time blend? No. But it is good for what it’s supposed to be – an aromatic that is easily smoked and nice to be around.

My Background: I’ve been smoking for nearly three years. Have all types of pipes in all different price ranges, and have tried a lot of tobaccos. My favorites are Vas, VaBurs, VaPers (lots of different flakes) and I also love pressed Englishes (flakes and cakes). Not usually an aromatic smoker at all.

Disclosure: I contacted Sutliff myself a week or so ago to ask to be a part of their reviewing team. I was accepted and today I received six tins of Sutliff Private Stock in the mail. The only condition on this free tobacco was to provide honest reviews to the community, so this is the first of many that I'll be doing as part of the program!

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nom Nom Nom~!

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. tobyducote

NOLA Cajun

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Soy, your review was very thorough. I am a big fan of MD..

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think you've sized up MD well. It has a special place for those who love sweet aromatics and on occasion want
    an indisputably pleasing room note for non-pipe-smokers. For myself, I enjoy an aromatic or two in my rotation,
    but I want tobacco forward blends, with the aromatic dimension just a grace note. MD is wildly popular, and you
    can't argue with that, whether you smoke it or not.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

an indisputably pleasing room note for non-pipe-smokers

I have to agree....the responses that I get are on par with the Molto Doce chick...well almost.

It is indeed a great smoke that can be enjoyed by the smoker and the smokee.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. beezer

beezer

Login to Send PM

I am not much of an aromatic guy, but I purchased a tin of this stuff about 6 months ago and coincidentally opened it last Saturday and transferred it to a jar. It was the gunkiest, goopiest pipe tobacco I have EVER touched. I've read too many favorable reviews on this blend to not give it a shot and my anticipation remains, but my first thought after moving it to a jar was one of mild disgust. I had to immediately wash my hands after touching it to get all the syrupy sticky stuff off my fingertips. Perhaps all aromatics are like this? Not sure, but again, considering all the enthusiastic reviews on this stuff I know I'll have to try it soon. I've already got the cob identified...maybe tonight will be the night.

Thanks for the review.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yeah beezer I won't argue with you there. It's a goopy aromatic - my girlfriend's first reaction when she smelled the freshly cracked tin was that it reminded her of cherry cordials. Which I can see because the moistness is very high. I usually do not smoke aromatics and I likely will not be purchasing another tin of this myself (this tin will last me for years and years, I'm sure) but for people that like aromatics with a pleasing room note this blend is worth considering.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Packing it a little loose works for me. Very rich tasting.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ice review, Soymilk. Thanks.

Eric
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm actually smoking on some Molto dolce right now that was gifted to my by Sparrowhawk a while back. Knowing I was planning on having a bowl tonight, I set some out to dry at about 5am this morning. Yes it is a very moist goopy aromatic.... but good gracious it's yummy!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. frank13

Frankenstein

Login to Send PM

So far, like most tobaccos in general, I'm discovering that a little time drying, works miracles for the taste. Smoking any of them straight out of the tin, seems a real recipe for bitterness and tongue-bite.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

natenice1

Login to Send PM

I smoke Aro's and shyed away from Molto Dolce but broke down with my last order, I keep a couple of Grabows in the car and tried it on a short drive, I really liked it and it will be part of my future orders, a good change of pace definitely a FULL cased aro. Great review Josh!

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. toadshade

toadshade

Login to Send PM

Agree with the review. Been trying out aromatics being a non-aro man and like this a lot.

Toadshade

The Piping Toad

Columbia, SC
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. 4nogginsmike

4nogginsmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the wider our appreciation for different classes of tobacco, such as aro's, they better off we are, in a way, as our choices for a good smoke increase. Thus if I could learn to like a tobacco such as this, I could reach for it when I want dessert to bloom in my pipe. But if I want dessert I'll eat it, not smoke it; and in any case the ratio of the number of tobaccos that I'd like to try but never get around to purchasing and smoking is about 10:1; if I learned to like aro's it would be 15:1 or 20:1. You get the idea. Why widen my horizons when they are already wide?

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. papajoe

papajoe

Login to Send PM

Great review. I love MD from the one I tried (which are not so many) this one is my favorite.

"Cigarettes are to be smoked, Cigars to be enjoyed but pipes are to be savored"
    Posted 4 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

davidintexas

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You might try mixing this blend with something like Carter Hall or Prince Albert. It adds a little tobacco backbone to it without compromising the scent, but might be enjoyed a little more by those who are not particularly enthralled with smoking an aro. Cuts down the drying time a little as well

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. crusher47

crusher47

Login to Send PM

Adding to Prince Albert sounds like a good idea....get a little nutty flavor too....will have to try that

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

hierophant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beezer...when you get around to smoking that MD, don't put in a treasured briar or Meer or whatever. I smoked couple of bowls of it in a favorite Nording freehand...it leaves a nasty, sticky residue behind that can be hard to clean; at least that was my experience. I smoked the rest of the tin exclusively in a cob devoted to it. If you're going to jar it and dry it though maybe you won't have that issue; I took it right from the tin.

It's a creamy, sweet smoke no doubt about that and I'll grab another tin of it eventually.

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So far, like most tobaccos in general, I'm discovering that a little time drying, works miracles for the taste. Smoking any of them straight out of the tin, seems a real recipe for bitterness and tongue-bite.

I believe frankestein nailed it.

I know it is true for aro's anyway. I think aro's get a bad rap due to people smoking a fresh can with an abundance of top dressing, without drying it out some or even a lot.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 4 years ago #
  20. jmsutton

jmsutton

Login to Send PM

"like an ultra featherweight". hahahaha. Love it. I'm gonna have to get my hands on some of this!

In pursuit of chivalrous empire.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  21. babalooie

babalooie

Login to Send PM

I mix my MD 50-50 with Carter Hall, calling it "Carter Dulce." It's not so wet and still pleasing to the taste.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   taildraggin, kimbiker