(2 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by
  • Latest reply from lordofthepiperings
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Blend Name: Sutliff Private Stock Kasimir

Tin Description: Kasimir denotes status as several Polish kings and prominent military leaders have borne the name. This extraordinary English mixture of smoky Latakia, rich Orientals, Golden Virginias, and burley could not be more aptly named.

Leaf: Burley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia

Appearance: Coarse cut ribbon tobacco, with light, medium and dark tobaccos evenly interspersed throughout.

Tin Aroma: Light sweetness to mix with the smoky latakia in the tin note. Although immediately apparent that it’s an aromatic-English crossover of sorts, the sweetness is subtle and not overwhelming.

Taste: Good light to medium English taste, with the latakia, orientals, and Virginia all playing well off of each other. The sweetness is present, but not overpowering, and there are occasionally lightly sour notes to mix in with the smokiness and the sweet. Not anything more than medium in taste, it’s definitely on the milder side in terms of flavor punch, so to speak. Reminds me a little bit of the Frog Morton series in terms of its ability to lightly intersperse the sweetness with what is otherwise a light to medium English base.

Strength and Nicotine: It’s present but in very light quantities. Englishes and aromatics by themselves don’t generally pack a huge punch when it comes to nicotine, and this one is no exception. I would also put it on the mild side in the strength category. Nothing to topple you over but it is enough to lend some interest.

Smokeability: Very smokeable, when you’re in the mood for a nice dessert-like smoke that still has some campfire notes. I could see this going well with a good glass of port, brandy, or similar post-dinner digestif. It certainly doesn’t need to be smoked on a full stomach, though, and is pretty much good for any time of the day. Or all day, for that matter.

Room Note: I enjoy the room note, which is lightly scented by the latakia but has a certain sweet quality to it beyond typical Englishes. Sensitive guests and non-smokers may not, though.

Thoughts: A lightly topped English that is very reminiscent of the Frog Morton blends in that it is a sweeter English that plays well on both sides. As I do not smoke aromatics myself it is hard to see this becoming one of my favorites, but I could see aromatic smokers and English smokers alike reaching for this as a change up to the regular blends that they prefer.

Recommend to: An aromatic smoker, a non-aromatic smoker who would like something sweeter for themselves or their guests, someone who wants a light smoke that still has some interesting notes to it.

Summary: A solid English-aromatic crossover that is pleasant in a non-offensive way. Will not wow you with flavor, necessarily, but it is very good at what it hopes to be – a tobacco that can smell good to the nose like an aromatic while at once deliver some of the complexities of an English.

My Background: I’ve been smoking for a little over three years. Have all types of pipes in all different price ranges, and have tried a lot of tobaccos. My favorites are Vas, VaBurs, VaPers (lots of different flakes) and I also love pressed Englishes (flakes and cakes).

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a sample bowl when Brian was at the Paiute Smoke Shop here in Vegas. I actually enjoyed it. I usually hate English blends, but this wasn't too bad. I'd agree it's a nice crossover blend.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   trouttimes, alialansari, jaytex969, mechanic, jerardpaul, warren, timelord, timt, eltice, sierrarecluse, vorgath, brian64, ashdigger, jazz, mau1, judcasper, scloyd, johnbarleycorn, anthonyrosenthal74, shind0, redglow, haparnold, hoppes, andromeda, morgansteele, maxsmoke, mikethompson, axeltwenties, agnosticpipe, piratepiper, spider61, sablebrush52, ben88, bazungu, canucklehead, chasingembers