Tags:   

Review: Sutliff Private Stock Blue Danube

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Blend Name: Sutliff Private Stock Blue Danube

Description on Tin: Aromatic Golden Cavendish with Burley and Rich Virginias

Leaf: Burley, Cavendish, Virginia

Appearance: Coarse ribbon cut. Light to medium colored tobaccos evenly distributed throughout. Almost completely uniform brown color.

Tin Aroma: Vanilla, honey, almonds. Light nuttiness. Not an overwhelming topping but the aroma is definitely there. Very pleasant smell to be sure.

Taste: A little bit of nuttiness. Whispers of tobacco in the background. Some vanilla, honey, and toffee. I wish the tobacco notes were a little bit louder. It’s like a singer that’s singing from just behind the curtain instead of the front of the stage. The sweetness is also halfway in the background, and not very prominent for the smoker. The sweet notes expand as you get further down in the bowl.

Strength and Nicotine: Negligible in both departments. Not much there at all.

Smokeability: It’s smokeable. That’s what it’s got going for it. It’s pleasant to smoke and doesn’t have harsh tones on any side, but then again there’s nothing that wows me about it either. It’s like a scoop of plain store-brand vanilla ice cream. Comforting, not offensive, but not something that you’ll ever really crave.

Room Note: Girlfriend’s first remarks: “smells like marshmallows…no, it’s smells like Lucky Charms. With the toasted cereal and marshmallows in the background.” I think it’s a very apt description. Smells great in the room. Too bad it just doesn’t deliver for the smoker himself in terms of taste.

Thoughts: Nothing that wows you in terms of flavor, just generally an exceedingly mild and neutral tobacco. Nothing offensive either or any harsh notes. Aromatic and pleasurable for those around you.

Recommend to: An aromatic smoker or someone that wants a tobacco that will be pleasant for all around them to smell. Not that there's much here, but it's less of a goopy, Yankee Candle-like tobacco that something like Molto Dolce is. You’ll please everyone around you, but you’ll probably be left wanting for lack of nicotine and most taste.

Summary: A very non-offensive and pleasant blend that won't wow you and won't disgust you. Give it a try if you want something with a nice room note but isn't a super goopy aro. Don't try it if you want something that will absolutely blow you away with flavor.

My Background: I’ve been smoking for nearly three years. Have all types of pipes in all different price ranges, and have tried a lot of tobaccos. My favorites are Vas, VaBurs, VaPers (lots of different flakes) and I also love pressed Englishes (flakes and cakes).

Disclosure: I contacted Sutliff myself a few weeks ago to ask to be a part of their reviewing team. I was accepted and received six tins of Sutliff Private Stock in the mail. The only condition on this free tobacco was to provide honest reviews to the community, so this is the fifth of many that I'll be doing as part of the program!

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. sean81

sean81

Login to Send PM

Nice review. I'm a fan of Sutliff's Private Stock, so I look forward to your future reviews.

A universe with a God would look quite different from a universe without one. A physics, a biology where there is a God is bound to look different. So the most basic claims of religion are scientific. Religion is a scientific theory.

We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

@sean81 thanks! I'll be doing a lot more in the future. Some of my friends that also signed up for this same program got MacBaren tins for the first go around so I'm hoping they're in my future as I generally dislike aromatics. I did enjoy Field Master, though, so my perception of their non-aromatics at least is improving. And Molto Dolce was pretty good for an aromatic. So overall not too bad. Could have been worse!

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wish I saw this review before I placed my buy 3 get one tin free order yesterday at pipes and cigars. Good review, I am going to put this on my list to try.

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent review. It lays down the facts in a organized, clear way. This would not be a tobacco I would order, though
    I like some Sutliff, like their Westminster English blend.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great review. I'll be interested in your future reviews. I have heard good and bad on Sutliff lately. Something to the effect of consistency issues, on aromatics, anyway. Keep them coming.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

@buster, @mso489, @okiescout - Thanks! I try to do my best to review blends I know I won't enjoy myself to give an accurate representation of the blend. Hopefully I can do them justice. I just got another six tins of aros from Sutliff in today so rest assured there will be more on the way.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. 4nogginsmike

4nogginsmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know everyone is different, and in the world of pipes and tobacco, no one is right or wrong

but

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would smoke aro's. "Natural" tobacco can't relied upon to yield taste; whether or not you like that taste is beside the point, but as a whole, almost without exception, they deliver taste. To treat my nose by smoking an aro is, to me, a secondary consideration. The smoke enters my mouth, and want to taste it-with my mouth.

If I had a tin of aro with negligible taste I'd take the tin and chunk it out into the dark.

But in the world of pipes and tobacco, no one is right or wrong.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. basil

basil

Login to Send PM

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would post a comment like this about personal taste on someone else's review.
    But in the world of pipes and tobacco, if no one is right or wrong, why does it matter?

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I don't understand, if you dislike aromatics why smoke them? Look at TR.com and so many openly admit they don't like them. These are the reviewers that I ignore, because they can't give a proper review in my opinion.

I like aromatics and learned to smoke them in a way I enjoy them. I taste with my nose be it aromatic or straight or latakia blends.
    Another pet peeve of mine is when I'm reading reviews and the guy says he smoked half of a bowl and tossed the rest because it's horrible. That's like someone saying they hate coffee because they smelled it once but never tasted it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, I have only had one bowl of this so far. Smoked in a cob and it fell flat.... I will have to try it in another pipe and see if it improves.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   philobeddoe, cortezattic, ericusrex