(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Blend Name: Sutliff Private Stock Blend No. 5

Description on Tin: Balanced Smoking Tobacco – Cool with a Rich Flavour

Leaf: Burley, Latakia, Virginia

Appearance: Coarse ribbon cut. Light, medium and colored tobaccos evenly distributed throughout. Typical English blend appearance.

Tin Aroma: Smoky Latakia is present, and there is a light sweetness to the blend too. Reminds me of the Frog Morton blends with a little bit more latakia. Nice English aroma overall.

Taste: Latakia is forward in this blend. Definitely a little bit of sweetness, but overall this blend is mild, sort of like Field Master which I reviewed a couple weeks ago. As the bowl goes forward a little bit of sweetness develops, which is something that I was expecting from the tin note. I wish there was a little bit more dimension with the smoke, but it is not overwhelming in any sense – in a good way or a bad way.

Strength and Nicotine: Mild to the lower end of medium in both departments. Not a nicotine buzz but something that is more substantial than an aromatic.

Smokeability: It’s smokeable. Like I mentioned, not offensive in any way and not spectacular either. The sweetness I would prefer to have toned down, but it never gets overwhelming. It’s something that I would not hate to smoke, but I would not be reaching for it on any special occasions, if that makes any sense.

Room Note: Typical English room note, with maybe a touch of sweetness as well. The Latakia is definitely present, but it’s not on the level of Pirate Kake. Other notes are not detectable on the room note. Not as pleasant as an aromatic for others, for sure, but what do you expect from an English blend?

Thoughts: Nothing that wows you in terms of flavor, but an okay English that’s middle of the road. I wish there was more of a multidimensional flavor here, but there were only a couple of notes that I could detect (smoky Latakia and some sweetness). For some this may be enough, but I don’t love it.

Recommend to: An aromatic smoker that wants to try Latakias, or someone that wants an English with a little bit of sweetness along the lines of a Frog Morton.

Summary: A fine blend for those that are looking for an English with equal amounts latakia and sweetness. This is a blend for someone who doesn’t care a whole lot about multidimensional flavor and is okay with a couple of notes dominating the smoke. I wish I could like this one more, but it tastes too much like a bulk English for me to give it anything but an okay score in terms of taste and flavor.

My Background: I’ve been smoking for about three years. Have all types of pipes in all different price ranges, and have tried a lot of tobaccos. My favorites are Vas, VaBurs, VaPers (lots of different flakes) and I also love pressed Englishes (flakes and cakes).

Disclosure: I contacted Sutliff myself a few weeks ago to ask to be a part of their reviewing team. I was accepted and received six tins of Sutliff Private Stock in the mail. The only condition on this free tobacco was to provide honest reviews to the community, so this is the sixth of many that I'll be doing as part of the program!

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That's a good review and I'd say its spot from my experience. I really like it when I'm working and just want an easy smoke I don't have to fuss around with.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been stuck on No.5 since Christmas. Working through my 4th tin. I love this stuff. Nothing middle of the road for me about it.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. tobyducote

NOLA Cajun

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do enjoy No. 5 as a change of pace from slightly heavier English Blends

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No. 5 is a decent all day blend and fine for working around the house. It doesn't require a lot of attention and at the price would be a fine introduction for a new smoker to English style blends. Good review.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good Blend, I smoke it, Yes it is a good all day blend, a winner in my estimation .

The Old Cajun
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. seadogontheland

seadogontheland

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Though there is an aromatic casing aftertaste, its certainly not the worst. This is a very pleasant aromatic English and as has been said it does burn quite well. The latakia is very subdued but you can tell its there and sometimes that is exactly what I want. Good review also, nicely constructed.

Life is good...I have truly been blessed.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I take the Sutliff test online, it always says I should like No. 5, but I've never tried it. However, I have smoked
    their Westminster and think that is a pleasant, kind of refined blend. It is likely milder than No. 5, but it also may have
    a little more going on. It's not quite MM 965 or one of the G.L. Pease lat blends, but it has levels and changes through
    the bowl. Nice review; it covers the ground.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. goldsm

goldsm

Login to Send PM

Very nice review. I bought 5 tin of 8oz last year and only 1 tin left.
    It's very enjoyable tobacco indeed.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cortezattic, ericusrex, pipejon, grilledokra, haparnold, donjgiles