Tags:   

Review: Sutliff Private Stock Black Swan

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Blend Name: Sutliff Private Stock Black Swan

Description on Tin: Exceptionally mild and aromatic blend, sweet & dark.

Leaf: Black Cavendish

Appearance: Coarse ribbon cut. Completely black in appearance (which I’d expect from a straight black cav blend). Moist straight out of the freshly opened tin.

Tin Aroma: Vanilla and hints of toffee and honey. Nice candy-like sweetness to the smell, but not overwhelming.

Taste: Vanilla is the predominant flavor. There are some notes of sugar cookie in the smoke, but it is the sort of unoffensive and generic aromatic flavor that I’d expected from reading the tin note. The taste of actual tobacco is near nonexistent, but that’s also not unexpected.

Strength and Nicotine: Nothing to see here. It’s like I’m just puffing on sweetly scented air. Move along now.

Smokeability: It’s smokeable. If I liked to smoke aromatics regularly I could see myself reaching for this once in a while. But then again most of the Sutliff vanilla-flavored aros kind of taste the same to me. This one doesn’t really stand out in any way. Like I’ve written before, it’s like drinking Bud or any other run of the mill American lager. Fine, but boring.

Room Note: Vanilla is the main note here. Not much else. Perhaps a bit of baked cookies or burnt sugar.

Thoughts: Another vanilla and vaguely sugary Sutliff aromatic. I can’t distinguish it from the others. The black Cavendish is very mild, but I think that’s its biggest drawback. I really wanted more taste, but as soon as I saw the description of the blend, opened the tin and saw the straight black Cavendish, those hopes were dashed.

Recommend to: An aromatic smoker and/or someone that wants to smoke in front of non-smokers (girlfriends and wives primarily). Someone who wants to be reminded of grandpa’s aromatics.

Summary: A Sutliff vanilla-vaguely sugary flavored aromatic that reminds me vaguely of someone baking sugar cookies. Perfect for the holiday season if you’re around family. I’d smoke it if I happened to have some around and had non-smoking company over, but I probably wouldn’t reach for it as a go-to blend because it’s too monochromatic, in both a literal and figural sense.

My Background: I’ve been smoking for about three years. Have all types of pipes in all different price ranges, and have tried a lot of tobaccos. My favorites are Vas, VaBurs, VaPers (lots of different flakes) and I also love pressed Englishes (flakes and cakes).

Disclosure: I contacted Sutliff myself a few weeks ago to ask to be a part of their reviewing team. I was accepted and received six tins of Sutliff Private Stock in the mail. The only condition on this free tobacco was to provide honest reviews to the community, so this is the eighth of many that I'll be doing as part of the program!

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thorough and well done

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. jmsutton

jmsutton

Login to Send PM

I actually opened a tin and gave it a try this morning. I didn't get as much vanilla in my smoke as I did just general sugar, like you said. I am (despite my best efforts to be a VaPer or English guy) an aromatic man and loved it. Your suggestion to recommend it to an aro smoker is dead on. I really enjoyed it.

In pursuit of chivalrous empire.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks gigger and jmsutton, I'm glad you enjoyed my reivew. I'm hoping to be able to do some more non-aromatic reviews in the future, but I still have a few more Sutliff aromatic tins to go through before I get to that point.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. jmsutton

jmsutton

Login to Send PM

Don't rush! haha. I will definitely be enjoying the aromatic reviews!

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lloydcole, clickklick, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow