Tags:   

Review: Sutliff Private Stock Barbados Plantation

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Blend Name: Sutliff Private Stock Barbados Plantation

Description on Tin: Sweet Barbados rum, smooth & rich.

Leaf: Black Cavendish, Burley, Virginia

Appearance: Coarse ribbon cut. About 50/50 ratio of black tobaccos (the Cavendish) to the medium colored Burleys and Virginias. Relatively moist straight out of the freshly opened tin.

Tin Aroma: Vanilla and a vague note of sweet alcohol. I am not really a rum drinker so what I’m smelling could be rum, but it smells more like a flavoring than anything natural to me. It is an inviting scent, though, and I think it does give me the feeling of being in the tropics somewhere with a nice, sweet cocktail in my hand.

Taste: Vanilla is a big flavor component here. Though the rum flavoring (if I can call it that) does add a little something extra. Though as with all other aromatics, most of the “taste” as it were is in the room rather than out of the pipe. The burley and Virginia give it a little bit of body, but they play a supporting role rather than a leading one (and a muted one at that). The taste of actual tobacco is near nonexistent, but that’s also not unexpected.

Strength and Nicotine: Nothing to see here. It’s like I’m just puffing on sweetly scented air. Move along now.

Smokeability: It’s pretty nice, and what I’d expect of Sutliff aromatics at this point. Solid vanilla flavoring with a little bit of that rum topping that give it a little bit of interest. Nothing harsh or terrible about it either, so it’s a pretty solid aromatic for me.

Room Note: Vanilla, vanilla…a little bit of that kind of background note of alcohol that you’d get if you splashed some in your favorite dish. It’s kind of there only if you smell for it, and certainly not something you’d necessarily pick out without knowing what it was.

Thoughts: Another Sutliff Aromatic with some nice vanilla flavoring and a sugary, alcohol-y topping of rum. Like the other aromatics from them that I’ve tried, not much in the way of flavor from the tobaccos themselves. The topping is where it’s at.

Recommend to: An aromatic smoker and/or someone that wants to smoke in front of non-smokers (girlfriends and wives primarily). Someone who wants to be reminded of grandpa’s aromatics. A rum drinker. Someone from the Caribbean that wants to be reminded of home.

Summary: A Sutliff aromatic that would go perfectly with a rum and coke or another tropical drink for a day at the beach.

My Background: I’ve been smoking for about three years. Have all types of pipes in all different price ranges, and have tried a lot of tobaccos. My favorites are Vas, VaBurs, VaPers (lots of different flakes) and I also love pressed Englishes (flakes and cakes).

Disclosure: I contacted Sutliff myself a couple months ago to ask to be a part of their reviewing team. I was accepted and received six tins of Sutliff Private Stock in the mail. The only condition on this free tobacco was to provide honest reviews to the community, so this one of many that I'll be doing as part of the program!

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

soymilk, I'm not primarily an aromatic smoker, but I enjoy several aros in my rotation or as a change up.
    This is a good review, direct and thorough. The deal breaker for me is that the blend is flavoring forward
    and not tobacco forward. I can live without nicotine, and flavoring can lend a change of pace for a mostly
    non-aro smoker like me. But I want the tobacco to be the star of the show. An aro that does some of these
    good things, like emit a good room note and weave in a tincture of rum, is Altadis "Queen Anne's Revenge."
    The tobacco still stars -- for me anyway -- and the room note is good and gets praise. For those put off
    by the name, Queen Anne's Revenge is the name of the flagship of the pirate Blackbeard (pirates and rum,
    you see). The ship was discovered about ten years ago in the shallows off North Carolina and is being
    carefully salvaged, including cannons and cannon balls, ships gear, tableware, etc. Not much treasure yet.
    Thanks for the good review. Edward Teach, a.k.a. Blackbeard, may have seen Barbados in his time.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks mso489 for the compliments and recommendation. I am not much of an aromatic smoker (actually, not at all outside of these reviews) so they're not something I seek out. I can deal with them once in a while, and keep a couple around in case guests are around and I want to smoke, but they're not really for me. Maybe I just haven't found the right one yet - someday!

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. tobyducote

NOLA Cajun

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice review Soy...I do enjoy a bowl of BP a few times a week...you are right on with your review

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the straightforward review, I have two tins from the pipe tobacco of thr month club, at some point I will be cracking one.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, smokeymcsmokey, brassmonkey, shayde, dmcmtk, jojoc, mawp, scottlin, yuda, mortonbriar, husky, marc75