Tags:   

Review: Sutliff Private Stock Archduke Ferdinand

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Blend Name: Sutliff Private Stock Archduke Ferdinand

Tin Description: A complex vanilla aromatic, derived from seven sub-blends.

Leaf: Black Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish

Appearance: Coarse ribbon cut with an almost uniform medium brown color throughout, with occasional lighter and darker tobaccos mixed in.

Tin Aroma: Definitely vanilla is the first and most prominent aroma. A little bit of light nuttiness from the burley, but it’s very faint.

Taste: Very mild vanilla flavoring, as I’d expected from the tobacco. It’s relatively straightforward, with a creamy retrohale and light vanilla flavoring. There is a little bit of nuttiness that comes in from the burley every so often – reminds me of a good vanilla latte with some sort of nutty syrup of some sort. Otherwise somewhat bready in taste.

Strength and Nicotine: Mild, mild, mild. The burley should give it a bit of strength but I don’t really detect the strength to any extent.

Smokeability: Nicely smokeable, and something I could see myself enjoying on occasion (when non-smokers that I want to please are around).

Room Note: Lightly sweet vanilla scent that is pleasant for everyone around.

Thoughts: A fine vanilla aromatic that I was glad to try. I have trouble telling something like this apart from other vanilla aromatics, but it is definitely worth a try if vanilla aromatics are your thing. Not particularly distinct for good or bad qualities.

Recommend to: An aromatic smoker, someone who wants to please their guests with the room note, a smoker who wants an inexpensive blend to smoke while out and about.

Summary: A fine aromatic that gives a pleasant vanilla room note for those around. The taste is also a nutty vanilla taste so it is a very pleasant smoke for any time of day. Will not wow you with complexity or interest, but has enough different notes to get you through the bowl.

My Background: I’ve been smoking for about three years. Have all types of pipes in all different price ranges, and have tried a lot of tobaccos. My favorites are Vas, VaBurs, VaPers (lots of different flakes) and I also love pressed Englishes (flakes and cakes).

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sutliff does good work. They don't get the ooohs and aaahhhs of some of the popular blends, but once engaged with a tin I have moved right through Sutliff. Some of my favorites are their Westminister and Balkan 957, and in aromatics, Great Outdoors and Taste of Summer. I mostly smoke non-aromatics, but enjoy an aromatic as a change of pace every few days.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

cfreud

Login to Send PM

Non-tobacco comment, but a pipe tobacco named Archduke Ferdinand? Please tell me this wasn't issued on June 28, 1914?

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tufftony, paulfg, buzkirk