Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
screenshot20121205at355.png

Packaging:

100g (3.5oz) square tin, very classy. White background, brown lettering. Backside has description and tin date in actual human readable format, which I truly applaud.
Tin Description:

Erik Peter, his Father, was a larger than life person, full of energy and passion for his craft. His favorite tobacco was navy flake, and this full-bodied smoke is a perfect example of his passion. It strikes a natural balance in the distinct characteristics of superior Burleys and mature Virginias by using a small measure of Black Cavendish to please true flake lovers. The 1931 flake is primarily U.S. Burley, U.S. Mature Virginias and a little bit of Black Cavendish. It’s an all-natural blend that offers a dry, natural smoke without additives in terms of flavoring.
Opening:

Gold foil packaging, similar to McBaren Navy flake, 2 stacks of very exactly cut tobacco flakes. Brighter coloring than MacBaren Navy Flake. Intense aroma of honey (not the typical McBaren honey though, but a true honey aroma). Flakes have a beautiful grain of golden Virginia, white Burley, darker (Virginia Based) Black cavendish. Very inviting. Flakes are moister than most tobaccos in the same format, but not overly wet.
photo1ewq.jpg

Preparation:

Drying time 30 minutes, cut into cubes. Gravity feeding a Brigham 3-Dot Mountaineer with a fresh filter. Light pressure on the cubes, then topping with little leftover for easy lighting.
Charring Light:

Takes flame easily. Charring light reveals a warm, full-bodied, nutty flavor, reminds me of walnuts. Charring light already produces a very dense creamy smoke. Wow!
Full Light:

After tamping down the initial charred ash and full lighting the tobacco takes flame extremely easily and evenly across the whole bowl. It's a pleasure to light up.
First Third:

First impression is surprising: the tobacco is much less sweet than the initial tin smell would suggest. The honey is present in the smoke. Very enticing taste of honey-covered walnuts. But not musty, more bright and fresh. Yummy.
Second Third:

In the second third, the walnut-honey steps into the background and the tobacco starts developing a very full-bodied aroma. The burleys take the front row, while the virginia provides sweetness and the black cavendish aroma and smoothness. On retro hale you can now start tasting faint spiced rum, notes of vanilla and cinnamon. One in three puffs gives an intense impression of raisins and walnuts. At this point the tobacco can give you a little lashing of the tongue when you push it too hard, which easily happens as the amazing taste makes you crave for more.
Last third:

Now the tobacco really starts to sing. Flavours of the second third intensify and meld together. Amazing taste of spiced rum. Sweet fresh baked bread with a good amount of almost peppery zing. Faint gloves, cinnamon. Holy lord this is my favourite part of the bowl. Reminds me of Sailor Jerry and Kraken spiced rum.
After-smoke contemplation:

The tobacco burns down to fine bright white salt and pepper ash on a single light. This is a Navy Flake unlike any other navy flake I've ever tasted! In fact, this is the first Navy Flake that I'd consider deserves that name. You can almost imagine standing on board of a late 18th century schooner.
Conclusions:

Erik Stokkebye has hit the jackpot. It's almost as if he took MacBaren Navy Flake and married it to Solani's Aged Burley flake: 1931 is their lovechild. The blend is described at full-bodied and I can only agree. It's an intense experience. Medium to strong nicotine, as I write this review I feel exhilarated and buzzed - like after an amazing roller-coaster ride. A delicious taste lingers in my mouth even an hour after the smoke, which I really like: too often tobaccoes leave you with that ashtray feeling when you're done. Probably not my all-day smoke, but even at this young age a larger-than-life experience. I can only imagine how freakin fantastic this blend will become with 3-5 years of age on it. I'd rank this as my second favourite Burley blend, right after Solani Aged Burley Flake.
Absolutely Highly Recommended to the VA/Burley lover!

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Rothnh: I can't say anything about Old Dark Fired because it's always "out of stock" when I want to order it ;-) The 1855 is next on my review list (probably tomorrow), but I can already say that it smells absolutely fantastic - like freshly rolled hay/straw.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Great review Nic! This sounds absolutely delicious and is already on my over $1000 and growing cart on P&C haha its more of a dream list but maybe someday I'll try everything I'd like to, but hey I got four new blends to try this week thanks to you! :puffy:

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
That is great to hear about the new blend. I hope the others are in the same league as I have some 1897 on the way. Definitely will add 1931 to a future order.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Great review and photos Nicolas. Thanks for that.
Our official reviewer, Adam, is working on reviews of the 4th Generation line right now.
In the meantime, I'd like to put yours up on the home page if you don't mind.
I made a slight edit on the conclusion. You wrote "Peter Stokkebye has hit the jackpot."
The current (4th) generation (hence the name of the product line) of Stokkebye's is Erik. He is the man behind this tobacco line. His father was Erik-Peter, but referred to as just "Peter". The tobacco you reviewed is a tribute to him.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Great review. I really like the way you broke everything down. I only wish I was aware enough to sense even half of what you are able to explain.
I will have to get a tin of this to put in my cellar. I am not quit there yet with these kind of blends but based on your review I will want to get there and fast.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Thanks for the reminder Roth. I added a tin to my Capstan order, along with some Brigham Klondike flake and Aurora Borealis.

Status
Not open for further replies.