PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Recently, someone gifted me two pen blanks of morta. This wood is salvaged from Russian bogs. It has been soaking for thousands of years. Of course, I had to turn a tamper from it. I found the wood to be very similar to oak in grain pattern, turning experience, hardness, weight, etc. I had to turn a normal oak tamper to be sure of the similarities. The morta color goes all through the blank. It makes a lovely mess under and around the lathe. FYI, morta could start with almost any tree, but mostly oak.
What do you think of this tamper? A pen blank of oak would be $.25 on eBay, while the morta blank would be $9.00. Should I invest in more of these blanks?

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
I don't know about the tamper, but I've made one morta pipe and it will be my last. I hate working with morta!
BTW, I thought we had decided in Chicago that you were going to make some Matryoshka style nesting tampers...? :lol:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
BTW, I thought we had decided in Chicago that you were going to make some Matryoshka style nesting tampers...?
They keep getting smaller and smaller and smaller... I think this idea broke Walt in the smoking tent on Saturday night.
-- Pat

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I like that tamper John. I've made two from Morta as well as three Morta pipes. It does seem to be messier than other woods because of the black dust everywhere! You might check into getting some of the Morta blocks from Steve Norse and cutting blanks from them. He has a couple of different sizes and also pen blanks.
The thing I dislike about the Morta most,especially on a pipe, is trying to get an nice shine on all that open grain. I guess on a tamper some shellac or sanding sealer could be used to fill the grain.Plan to try that on my next Morta tamper.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I love Morta. My favorite and best smokers are Davorin Morta...I also have some of his tamps and will contribute one to the tamp exchange..

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
What do you think of this tamper? A pen blank of oak would be $.25 on eBay, while the morta blank would be $9.00. Should I invest in more of these blanks?
The tamper is sweet! And the price shouldn't be an issue either, as there's no comparison between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.