Tags:   

Review: Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian

(17 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Blend Name: Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian

Tin Description: The base of the blend, a little under half of the volume, is a smooth and yet powerful Latakia from Syria. This tobacco gives the blend the overall smoky taste, a powerful taste and yet without any tongue bite. To add a spicy note to the blend, Turkish Oriental has been added. A mix of different Virginia tobaccos from 3 continents adds a sweet natural taste. To complete the taste with depth and body, we added a little Dark Fired Kentucky from the US.
    The HH-Vintage Syrian Latakia is a loose cut tobacco, which guarantees a smooth and steady burn. It does not get hot which means you will find extremely little bite on your tongue. When you empty your pipe after smoking, you will find only fine grey ashes, the sign of a slow and dry smoke.

Leaf: Kentucky, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia

Appearance: Coarse cut ribbon. Dark to medium and occasionally light colored tobaccos interspersed throughout.

Tin Aroma: Nice smokiness that I would expect from a good Latakia blend. There are hints of nuttiness and sweetness as well. Good depth of flavor.

Taste: Delicious combination of subtle sweetness and the deep smokiness of the Syrian Latakia. They say this stuff is endangered or gone altogether, and that is truly sad because it has a unique taste to it that I can’t quite put my finger on. Different than some other Englishes that I’ve had in the past. The Kentucky comes through occasionally with some spiciness, and the change in flavors throughout the bowl is pleasant. Very good English/Balkan blend. Something I have to be in the mood for as I’m primarily a VA smoker, but something I will relish every time.

Strength and Nicotine: A medium strength as many Latakia blends are. The Kentucky and Burley give it a little bit of kick, but it’s not overwhelming.

Smokeability: The constant shifting of tastes make this blend good for several bowls. I don’t usually make a habit of smoking more than one bowl in a sitting and when I do it isn’t two bowls of the same blend, but I can imagine myself smoking more than one bowl of this in a sitting without getting tired of it.

Room Note: Delicious smelling for me, the smoker, but probably not the best for non-smokers around you. Not likely to be a crowd pleaser for those that despise Latakia. But I enjoy it as I do with all my Latakias when I smoke them.

Thoughts: A delicious Balkan/English blend with some interesting components that tantalize the tastebuds. A true shape shifting blend that has multiple personalities that can be enhanced or subdued based on the pipe and a variety of other factors (cadence, etc).

Recommend to: Someone who likes Latakias, someone who wants to taste what a Balkan or English can be, someone who wants an interesting smoke that can hold your interest.

Summary: A very tasty Balkan blend made of rare (and disappearing) Syrian tobacco. Get yours now before you can’t anymore. You won’t be sorry you did.

My Background: I’ve been smoking for about three years. Have all types of pipes in all different price ranges, and have tried a lot of tobaccos. My favorites are Vas, VaBurs, VaPers (lots of different flakes) and I also love pressed Englishes (flakes and cakes).

Disclosure: I contacted Sutliff myself a few months ago to ask to be a part of their reviewing team. I was accepted and have been receiving gratis Sutliff products in the mail. The only condition on this free tobacco was to provide honest reviews to the community, so this is one of many that I'll be doing as part of the program.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SPC has a deal where you get 2 pounds of this fine weed with a pretty cool storage jar that states "Vintage Syrian" on the front for the low low price of $92.40.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. renfield

renfield

Login to Send PM

Great review, the effort is appreciated. I have a few tins in the cellar but have yet to try this blend. Based on your description I'll have to move them to the front of the line.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Recent thread has emphasized the frustration of pipe smokers who have fallen in love with particular blends only to have them become unavailable. So before lining up to enjoy this -- what sounds like -- a truly tasty and elegant blend, consider that you might be lining up for heartache, too. Syria appears to be in longterm instability, and it is difficult to imagine the tobacco farming in Syria coming back to normal any time soon. Enjoy, enjoy this blend, but cultivate others that you might expect to remain available in the long run.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. matches

matches

Login to Send PM

I love this stuff - one of my top three. As mso489 points out all these Syrian blends are likely to be gone at some point. I remember reading somewhere (Pease?) that Macbaren had about 10 years worth of crops from the 70s and 80s after which that's it. Thankfully I don't smoke as much as some do so supplies last me a long time - but still means I'm trying to gradually stockpile each time I put in a tobacco order.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. kane

kane

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tip, ericusrex, but what is SPC?
    I went to the Seattle Pipe Club website but didn't see any Mac Baren for sale.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

SPC=smokingpipes.com

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. kane

kane

Login to Send PM

Got it.........duh!
    Don't know if I'd use it for long term aging/storage, but it's a handsome tin.
    Thanks

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the confusion Kane. Maybe we should just say SP to differentiate it from Seattle Pipe Club. Another argument for dropping the C is that we don't say PCC for PipesandCigars.com. Just a thought.

The Mac B jar is quite sturdy. It does have a silicone type rubber ring to seal in the moisture and keep it from drying out.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"all these Syrian blends are likely to be gone at some point. I remember reading somewhere (Pease?) that Macbaren had about 10 years worth of crops"

That info comes from Per George Jensen himself of Mac Baren's.He has stated several times that he expects the Syrian Latakia to be gone by about 2022.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. cobguy

cobguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Recently tried this one too ... random B&M purchase while grabbing some stogies.

I was a bit hesitant because the pipe tobacco was in the humidor with the cigars ... duh.

However, it was in a hermetically sealed jar and didn't seem too goopy so I grabbed an ounce.

This blend was a pleasant surprise and Josh said it best here:

I can imagine myself smoking more than one bowl of this in a sitting without getting tired of it.

The Latakia is ever-present, but never dominant, and the flavors progress nicely throughout the bowl.

Nice review Josh ... I'm going back to rescue the rest of that jar!

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

@cobguy Thanks! And thanks everyone else as well. I recommend this blend and it's definitely worth trying if you like Englishes/Balkans. And probably even if you don't.

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been smoking this for years - it is definitely a Worthy Blend. I'm smoking some right now, in a Brandt Freehand.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. seadogontheland

seadogontheland

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I must admit I'm not a MacB fan, especially after disappointment with ODF. I will say that this blend has intrigued me since I happen to love the English/Balkan style. I may give this a try, very good review.

Life is good...I have truly been blessed.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  15. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice review, Soy. I've got some jarred up and have yet to try it.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 4 years ago #
  16. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

pipetobacco.com has this blend on sale right now for $11.96. That's the lowest price I've ever seen for it! They also have some of the now-discontinued HH Mature Virginia left at the same price. My order is en route!

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. ericusrex

ericusrex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I just went back onto pipetobacco.com to order some more of this blend and HH Mature Virginia and they're sold out of both! I guess I should have kept this sale to myself for a little longer! LOL

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   thedbs999, madox07, marc75, dukdalf, paulie66scandinavian, jfred, eddiegrob, cosmicfolklore, irishearl, cigrmaster, kilroyjune6, didimauw, donjgiles, tuold, davet, workman