Tags:   

Review: HH Old Dark Fired by Mac Baren

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Blend Name: Mac Baren - HH Old Dark Fired

Tin Description: Hot Pressed Pipe Tobacco. A bold flake of dark-fired burleys in a well balanced unity with Flue-cured Virginias. This flake is Hot Pressed, which causes the pipe tobacco to intensify the marrying process giving us a bolder pipe tobacco. The robust, earthly flavour of the dark-fired burleys shines through in the taste, and you will experience a deeply satisfying smoke indeed.

Leaf: Burley, Virginia

Appearance: Broken flake that crumbles relatively easily. Uniform brown color throughout with evenly interspersed lighter colored tobaccos.

Tin Aroma: Earth, muted sweetness, hay, grass, light stewed fruit. There is a musty quality to the smell that reminds me of wood. Also getting notes of tea and a little bit of vinegar-like tang. Very pleasant umami-like flavors.

Taste: The nuttiness of the burley is the forward note of this blend. There are definitely a lot of notes reminiscent of a good cigar – some spice, a bit of sweet (stewed fruits), and a certain dark chocolatey flavor permeate the taste. Very rich and full flavored.

Strength and Nicotine: Not for the faint of heart. It’s not the strongest tobacco I’ve ever had, but it’s one of the stronger ones out there. I wouldn’t want to start my day out smoking this, that’s for sure. Great for a nightcap, though.

Smokeability: Very strong flavors that are complex and marry well together. This is the equivalent of a Belgian quad beer or a barrel strength bourbon in terms of flavor, so you wouldn’t want a lot of it in one sitting (I’ve smoked it in big bowled pipes before – big mistake). Smoked properly and in a smaller bowled flake pipe, it’s pure bliss. But not something I could smoke all day long.

Room Note: Musty and strong, but pleasant. Not overly offensive like a latakia blend.

Thoughts: An assertive VaBur blend (more of a BurVa in my opinion) that satisfies that umami desire of mine while bringing a plethora of other flavors to the table. Not something to be smoked casually, but rather with contemplation and intent. Also, don’t smoke in anything but a small bowl unless your nicotine tolerance is very high. It will knock you down very quickly if you make that mistake.

Recommend to: A seasoned smoker who is comfortable with a variety of stronger tobaccos, or a cigar smoker wanting to dabble in pipe tobacco. Not for tobacco novices by any stretch.

Summary: A beautiful all natural tobacco blend with some complex flavors. It is what I’d expect a gruff old codger would smoke in a smoking jacket next to a fireplace. For the seasoned pipe smoker, as amateurs may find its strength off putting and/or may not appreciate its complex flavors. Really great stuff.

My Background: I’ve been smoking for about three years. Have all types of pipes in all different price ranges, and have tried a lot of tobaccos. My favorites are Vas, VaBurs, VaPers (lots of different flakes) and I also love pressed Englishes (flakes and cakes).

Disclosure: I contacted Sutliff myself a few months ago to ask to be a part of their reviewing team. I was accepted and have been receiving gratis Sutliff products in the mail. The only condition on this free tobacco was to provide honest reviews to the community, so this is one of many that I'll be doing as part of the program.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Tried this one when it was first released. It comprises 15 pounds of my cellar, and tends to be my go to all day smoke. Love this stuff in my larger pipes, especially the ones that I can stuff two flakes in. Goes good with a black cup of coffee, and is a really fine smoke after a big steak dinner. Excellent review, very good tobacco.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nice review, thank you for sharing. Having been away from what's new for me for quite some time, only smoking from what I had in my cellar, I recently got some in a TAD and got my first taste. This stuff is good. I will order more when I can and try to build a nice supply.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

unholy1

Login to Send PM

ODF also pairs nicely with a good stout or porter.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. nurseman

nurseman

Login to Send PM

To me ODF is in a class of its own. I like it rubbed out in a tall bowl.

Women thrive on novelty and are easy meat for the commerce of fashion. Men prefer old pipes and torn jackets. --Anthony Burgess
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sparks spotted me a bowl of this at the Christopher Morley Pipe Club the other night. The review is spot on with my experience. Loved it

"Summary: A beautiful all natural tobacco blend"
    'splain me what you mean by this?

"Not overly offensive like a latakia blend."
    Well...not every review can be perfect.

"Disclosure: I contacted Sutliff myself a few months ago..."
    Your honesty is appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. freakiefrog

freakiefrog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought my B&M out a few weeks ago. Since it's on backorder else where. I'm not a fan of big vitamin N smokes but I rather like this one. It is one of my end of the day smokes So after dinner on the porch or with a cherry pie mmm.. I'm really glad I got the tins I did and this is a great review. Thanks.

I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.
    Robert W. Service
    Posted 4 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

"Summary: A beautiful all natural tobacco blend"
    'splain me what you mean by this?

"Not overly offensive like a latakia blend."
    Well...not every review can be perfect.

First: I meant it doesn't seem to have a casing/topping. Should have been more succinct about that, my apologies. After writing a bunch of reviews for Sutliff aromatics in the last few months I was happy to encounter a tobacco with no heavy-handed artificial flavorings.

Second: I was describing a room note, especially in relation to my girlfriend who hates Englishes. I love them, though. Don't get me wrong!

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

hierophant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good review, I have a tin of this sitting and waiting on me and will probably be the next one I open. Been looking forward to it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep hearing that this one is strong, but it doesn't hit me like Nightcap or Dark Flake unscented at all, and especially not a rope. It might be stronger than your average Virginia, but I'd put it par to par with Haddo's Delight or Stonehaven. It doesn't give me the woozies at all. Whereas Nightcap can make me sick feeling.

It does have a very strong flavor though.

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

This stuff is horrible, vile weed. You should all be ashamed of yourselves

Send me all of your tins so that I can dispose of them properly.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. freakiefrog

freakiefrog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Send me all of your tins so that I can dispose of them properly.

I am ashamed

I will burn it all. Slowly and think about what I've done.

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I was going to say the same thing but only because smokingpipes.com has the 2 lb./jar combo back in stock. They were out when I ordered and now that I've opened my big mouth they're sure to be out again when my next bank deposit hits.

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does anyone have one of those Mac Baren jars? I am curious to see how well they hold a seal.

That was an excellent review, thank you for posting it.

Michael
    Posted 4 years ago #
  15. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ODF cubed cut is the only way to go. These ready-rub guys are whining ninnys.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. jimbo69

jimbo69

Login to Send PM

Damn it! I've got several pounds of this already and I told myself I was done with purchases this month. Then y'all had to throw out the Mac Baren jar combo. *sigh*

(hangs his head in shame and orders)

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   instymp, donjgiles, ashdigger, frankrem, npod, winton, michiganlover, folanator