Made by: Sutliff
Type: Aromatic
Tobacco: Black Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish, Latakia
Topping: Fruit/Plum/Liquor
Cut: Ribbon
Tin Note: Plum, sweet, rum?, hint of smokiness
Room Note: Pleasant and sweet
Tin Description:

A mild aromatic with a natural light Burley nuttiness and flavored Black Cavendish taste. Fruity plum notes are given a slight flavor push from a hint of Latakia, and a very pleasing top note of liquor. A harmonious blend that burns cool and slowly for full enjoyment.
qEUv12x.jpg

This is not your average aromatic. For starters, it has a strong hearty smell, some type of liquor topping. Rum maybe? A scent of plum and fruit with a hint of smokiness. Its dry to the touch and isn't sticky. Easy to pack and light. Burns well and evenly with minimal relight. This blend has a lightly sweet taste with a suggestion of honey and cinnamon. The Latakia is more of an accent than a player in the mix, although it does come out of hiding a little more about halfway through the bowl. The Burley and Cavendish are the unreserved frontrunners. It has a fairly natural tobacco flavor and none of the chemical candy aftertaste of some aros. This is what I imagine a traditional aromatic use to be like, before the fad of flavorless nose candy for your wife and guests. Unlike a lot of aromatics that are all smell and no taste, EGR is a hybrid of two worlds. A decent flavored aro you can taste and your guests can enjoy as well. It doesn't ghost or goop up your pipe. It can however, give you a strong bite if you push it hard so smoke slowly.
Has Latakia. Not sticky or goopy. No chemical aftertaste. Decent natural tobacco taste isn't smothered by toppings.
Dislikes:

Can use more Latakia. Can give a strong tongue bite if pushed hard.
Recommendations:

I recommend EGR to aromatic smokers and new pipers, as well as more seasoned pipers. EGR has just enough sweetness for new pipers and aro smokers to pique interest, and just enough natural tobacco flavor and body for the old pro's to still enjoy.
http://www.sutliff-tobacco.com/home.html

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Great review! The restraint usage of the Latakia is one of the reasons I like it. One of my face.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I tried this for the first time during my time with the box pass(I think it was an addition by rsuninv, much appreciated BTW). This was the sleeper hit of the blends for me. I'm not a fan of aros, mostly because I find them lacking in flavor. This one had me trying a few bowls. I immediately purchased a tub for my stock.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tried a sample at a pipe show, then after due consideration, bought a tin online, which I haven't yet opened. This is an excellent

review and pretty much gives you the picture. If you are mostly a non-aromatic smoker but like aros as a change of pace, this is

a perfect choice.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Legend has it that Ed G. Robinson took part in creating this blend and not just dropping his name on it.
" M'yeah... See! This is how an aromatic should taste See."

EGR

jmmize

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2014
You ever heard of Brier Rabbit? I live in Eatonton Ga.! Home of Joel Chandler Harris and the Brier Rabbit stories.

Rabbit tobacco!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.