Tags:   

Review: Capstan Original Navy Cut

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Blend Name: Capstan Original Navy Cut

Tin Description: A medium to mild blend of carefully selected Virginia tobaccos with a natural aroma.

Leaf: Virginia

Appearance: Light to medium colored flake tobacco. Very similar in appearance to the gold version. Maybe a little darker? Good moisture level – like Dunhill Flake and less like some of the more moist McClellands or Samuel Gawith flakes that I smoke.

Tin Aroma: Hay, grass – a typical straight Virginia flake scent. In any case it is very pleasant and light, not overwhelming in any way. Very straightforward light woodiness.

Taste: Ever so slightly sweet, a little grassy on the tongue. Little bit of wood chip flavor in the nicest way. Awesome straight Virginia. Not overly complex, but flavors develop as the bowl progresses. It reminds me of a very high quality vanilla bean ice cream in the best possible way. Maybe a tiny, tiny bit of spice in the very back of the room to round out the taste.

Strength and Nicotine: Good medium body. Pretty much what you’d expect from a Virginia flake. It’s there, but won’t smack you over the head with Vitamin N.

Smokeability: For those of you who are familiar with beer terms, it’s extremely “sessionable”. Not overwhelming in flavor in any way, and tastes great so you can smoke it in a few different pipes and get different experiences. Good stuff all around.

Room Note: Autumn in the room. Little bit of sweetness, decomposing leaves…very nice. Like other straight Virginias.

Thoughts: A medium Virginia that has some deeper notes (on the light side, if that makes any sense) that I could smoke all day.

Recommend to: Someone who likes straight Virginias, an aromatic smoker who wants to delve a bit more into Virginias, someone who wants to try flake tobaccos.

Summary: Great Virginia with just the right balance of natural, savory flavors and sweetness that you might expect. It is plant matter flavors in their purest, most unadulterated form. A wonderful Straight Va flake. Could see this becoming one of my favorites.

My Background: I’ve been smoking for about three years. Have all types of pipes in all different price ranges, and have tried a lot of tobaccos. My favorites are Vas, VaBurs, VaPers (lots of different flakes) and I also love pressed Englishes (flakes and cakes).

Disclosure: I contacted Sutliff myself a few weeks ago to ask to be a part of their reviewing team. I was accepted and the only condition on this free tobacco was to provide honest reviews to the community, so this is one of many that I'll be doing as part of the program.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Thanks for another great review. A lot of time and effort goes into these things, I know. But it is appreciated soooo much!

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Forgive me for sounding redundant but I think Capstan in its various tin colors and various incarnations has been reviewed to death several times before on this forum. I think saw you at the New York Pipe show, I am sorry we didn't get to exchange a few words as I didn't realize you were local to NYC.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While Capstan has been reviewed many times, I still welcome your review and thoughts. I had an amazing first smoke or two with Capstan...then it became very "meh". I've got it aging and need to revisit!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@tarak. I couldn't agree with you more chum. Smoked the stuff back in the day and then tried some of the new incarnation and thought it was a bit 'meh'. That is probably because the tobacco has changed in the last twenty odd years and if my memory serves me correctly it came in a blue zip lock type of pouch!

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Capstan Blue is my go-to tobacco. I was a big Aro smoker and my first tin of Capstan forever put me on to Virginias and I haven't smoked an Aro in months. Maybe I'll have to follow in Condor's steps and change my name to capstanlover1? lol

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are worse things in this world!

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are worse things in this world!

mixture79lover1? lol

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Disclosure: I contacted Sutliff myself a few weeks ago to ask to be a part of their reviewing team.

Whomever pays the piper......

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very objective wouldn't you say Dan?

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cracking good review, Soyamilk - as usual.

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort - it's much appreciated.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Popped a tin tonight and agree that it's a flake that really developes as it's smoked and really starts to pop about mid bowl. Easy to prepare and smoke (I folded one flake and stuffed into a small Charatan Special) it's just robust enough to satisfy but could easily be smoked all day IMO. Thanks for the review and for me Capstan will be another warm weather go-to.

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 4 years ago #
  13. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good review that reminded me I need to stock up on some more tims. Thanks!

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 4 years ago #
  14. shanelktown

shanelktown

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Autumn in the room that makes me have an urge to add a tin of this now.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for taking the time to post your review, soymilk. It is very helpful.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 4 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks all for your feedback! I appreciate the time you took to read my review.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kimbiker, taildraggin