Tags:   

Review: Capstan Gold

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Blend Name: Capstan Gold Navy Cut

Tin Description: A blend of carefully selected Virginia tobaccos with a natural aroma enhanced by a subtle flavor.

Leaf: Virginia

Appearance: Light to medium colored flake tobacco. Definitely a “golden” flake as the tin description suggests. Good moisture level – like Dunhill Flake and less like some of the more moist McClellands or Samuel Gawith flakes that I smoke.

Tin Aroma: Hay, grass – a typical straight Virginia flake scent. Some citrus flavors are present as well, which I guess is either because of the topping or is enhanced by the topping. In any case it is very pleasant and light, not overwhelming in any way.

Taste: The tin aroma translates quite well into the taste when smoked. Light grassiness/hay accompanied by a light fragrance of citrus – tastes quite nice, actually. Reminds me a bit of a bowl of F&T Cut Blended Plug that I had a few weeks ago. Very light in taste, and while I prefer a stronger Virginia, this is very pleasant in its lightness. The bright notes make it what I would consider more of an early day smoke.

Strength and Nicotine: Mild to the low end of medium. Pretty much what you’d expect from a light Virginia. It’s there, but won’t smack you over the head with Vitamin N.

Smokeability: Very pleasant and therefore smokeable all day long. For some reason reminds me of a good Witbier, if that comparison makes sense. Easy grassy and hay notes with the citrus that adds a bit of interest. I could smoke it all day, though it might get a little boring after more than a couple bowls. Perfect for a single bowl, though.

Room Note: A bit toasty with a hint of citrus sweetness. Nice and light.

Thoughts: A light Virginia that has a nice citrus note that makes it less boring than it might otherwise be. Pleasant to pack and smoke, this tobacco doesn’t need any sort of special treatment, and that’s what I like about it. I think I’d make this a morning bowl when I have the opportunity to smoke it at the beginning of the day.

Recommend to: Someone who likes light Virginias, an aromatic smoker who wants to delve a bit more into aromatics, someone who is a nicotine lightweight, someone who wants to try flake tobaccos.

Summary: A pleasant flake that I find great to smoke on its own, without any accompaniments, probably best at the beginning of the day. Not an overly complex tobacco but beautiful in its simplicity. Won’t kick you in the pants with nicotine either, so it’s great for smokers of all experience levels and preferences.

My Background: I’ve been smoking for about three years. Have all types of pipes in all different price ranges, and have tried a lot of tobaccos. My favorites are Vas, VaBurs, VaPers (lots of different flakes) and I also love pressed Englishes (flakes and cakes).

Disclosure: I contacted Sutliff myself a few weeks ago to ask to be a part of their reviewing team. I was accepted and the only condition on this free tobacco was to provide honest reviews to the community, so this is one of many that I'll be doing as part of the program.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. twoonefive

twoonefive

Login to Send PM

Nice review. Ive been wondering about this version, only tried Blue so far. Will add it to my list. Thanks!

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer the blue but the gold is an enjoyable Virginia as well. I actually had a bowl on my drive home today. Great review.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. sidious

sidious

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the review. I've added a tin to my shopping cart.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks @twoonefive, @blueeyedogre and @sidious. I am trying to refine my reviews so that over time they can be more accurate and show less of my bias. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Another great review, soymilk! I hope you're cutting and pasting these reviews to Luxury Tobacco Reviews.
    It would be a shame if all the effort you put into it vanished when this thread slides off the forum boards.
    If memory serves, you've got well over a dozen reviews floating in cyberspace; why not preserve them?

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

@Cortez you're right. I think I should do that. I've also posted everything to reddit so they are searchable in my post history, and moving forward I will do so. When I have some time I'll also go back and cross post everything there as well.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good review, detailed and precise without getting wordy. Capstan Gold doesn't sound like my thing, with
    a number of extremely tempting blends on hand, but I'm glad to know about it. I might sample it at the
    pipe show and see how it goes.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. acutabovebriar

acutabovebriar

Login to Send PM

I just opened a tin and i have to say i really like it. not like the VA from McClelland but very honest and fairly complex too.

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very well organized review.

However I'm left confused whether this is an aromatic or not.

Recommend to: Someone who likes light Virginias, an aromatic smoker who wants to delve a bit more into aromatics, someone who is a nicotine lightweight, someone who wants to try flake tobaccos.

Is this an aromatic lovers aromatic?

Dot
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

yo dottie - re your thought about whether Capstan Gold is an aromatic: a bunch of us at Morley's now operate with the thought that almost all 'natural' Virginias are topped, at least slightly. The result is often a nearly subliminal topnote like citrus, another fruit or whatever. We are also thinking that the very first preparation step in taking the dried, cure (and very brittle) leaf is to case it with water and some sort of sugary thing, both to make it workable as well as to render it palatable. So different blending houses have a house undertone of honey, treacle, molasses, anise or whatever. Consequently, most every commercial blend starts off with something other than tobaccos which alter the flavor.

I dedicate a bunch of pipes to Virginias, so I pay attention to the threat of ghosting. So these pipes don't get loaded with Latakias, Periques, Lakelands or outright aromatics. They do get to burn Capstan, both of them.

hp
    les

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. 12pups

12pups

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Had my first bowl of it on the way to work this morning and was pleased to see your review of it first thing when I opened the forums up. Right on the money, far as my experience with it went.

A man who has not passed through the inferno of his passions has never overcome them. -- Carl Jung
    Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   64alex, lawdawg, donjgiles, monkeylyf, craiginthecorn