PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
My reverse calabash from IMP pipes arrived in the mail, unmolested by customs! I've smoked about 10 bowls out of it in 3 days, and there is slight colour change on the stem and bowl, but nothing drastic enough to warrant a quality photo.
The pipe is a bit larger than I thought it would be. Perhaps like cupping a medium sized lime in the hand or an extra large egg. It's a nice handful. Possibly just a shade heavier than a comfortable clenched pipe, if that's your thing.
I can't really say much about the coolness of the smoke with confidence.
I've been smoking flakes and coins out of it, which burn fairly cool to my tastes. I'm also a sipper. For me, it's a cool smoke, but I'm honestly not sure that has anything to do with the calabash qualities. I'm skeptical that the chamber, which is about the size of a pinky finger up to the second knuckle, is sufficient to make for a noticeably cooler smoke. Maybe with a style of sipping, rather than puffing, it is, since the chamber holds about a sip of smoke. Really hard to tell.
There is some moisture that collects at the stem where it meets the shank. This could turn some people off. Once, when I inadvertently started puffing to keep a flake lit, a small amount of moisture came up the stem. However, I guess it is a feature to let you know when your sipping has become puffing. Otherwise, I haven't noticed anything wrong with this pipe. It's a big block of high quality meerschaum that is starting to slightly colour after 10 bowls.
Brutal picture, but since I don't use a cell phone and taking out a decent camera is a hassle, here it is.
calabash-600x400.jpg

The beautiful pictures from the site I bought this IMP Reverse Calabash from are gone now.
If after another hundred or so bowls there is colour worth noting, I'll take a decent picture. Right now, the humidity is through the roof, so I've been enjoying the meerschaum. My briars seem to be moist, despite days of rest. It changes the tobacco flavours to me. I guess maybe that's why cigars in the tropics are a big thing. But, that's nothing a meerschaum can't fix!
In all, while the prices of IMP pipes are high right now, and these large pipes seem to be at a premium, I do recommend it. Maybe just for those who are prone to sipping than puffing, on account of the moisture build up from the enlarged shank.

Status
Not open for further replies.