PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

volsmcfalls

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
I finished off the last bowl of a 2010 Santa Puffer blend from the Gatlinburlier. I had stored the tobacco in a medium size mason jar. Stayed moist without getting overly wet and was one of my favorite blends.
But, now that I have an empty jar, what do you guys recommend for "recommissioning" it for another blend? I have the glass jar soaking in a mild soap / water mix, but the aroma still seems to be there. And what about the lids? Should I toss those and get new lids?
I haven't seen anything about reusing the jars, so I thought I would throw this out there to see what you all recommend.

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
I"d say why not just throw it in the dishwasher. If you want to replace the top with center piece, you could do that but the dishwasher should clean and sanitize the whole thing. G1

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
All excellent suggestions. +1 on the dishwasher... If you have one. Otherwise, +1 on the white vinegar, except you can just add some to the jar and clean the jar with it. Vinegar is a great disinfectant. That said, I've NEVER been able to reuse a jar or top that was originally used for pickles. OK, the jar will eventually come clean of any pickle aromas, but it takes a lot of runs through the dishwasher. I've been thinking of just using old pickle jars for McClelland blends then I get a ketchup-y-pickle tin note... J/K!
-Jason

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I just run the jar through the dishwasher and wash the lids by hand figuring that would be easier on the rubber seals. I only replace the lids (rings or tops) as needed.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I"d say why not just throw it in the dishwasher. If you want to replace the top with center piece, you could do that but the dishwasher should clean and sanitize the whole thing. G1

This is what I have done, and it worked fine. It came out of the dishwasher with no smell at all

volsmcfalls

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
Thanks for all the advice! I guess I'll run the jar through the wash and scrub the lids by hand and see how that works. If worse comes to worse, I'll pick up some more lids (they're cheap!).

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I just rinse them with warm water, dry them, and re-use the lids... no problem for years of this method!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
If you hand wash the lids be very careful as the edges are pretty sharp. I learned the hard way when I sliced my thumb wide open. Then I had to wash all the blood off of the lid.

Status
Not open for further replies.