PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Hey all. Just received an estate Mastro de Paja from one of our sponsor sites. I'm wondering if I need to return it (haven't smoked it).
Looking it over, everything seemed fine, except for the slightest "notch" or groove on the top of the stem, just before the button. I figured it was a tooth mark. But, when I ran a pipe cleaner into the pipe, that groove is actually a thin spot on the acrylic...so thin that the pipe clear is visible through the stem for about 1/4 of an inch.
Is this a problem? Should I return it? I'm new to saddle stems and nice pipes so I need some input.
null_zpsa8c3e9f5.jpg

Is this a problem?

Aug 1, 2012
If it bugs/worries you, return it. I have kept some pipes that bother me and they get no space in the rotation. I kept one with "problems" that became my favorite smoker though, so there you go. If you're a clencher, I would definitely return it.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Tarak
Are you saying that you can 'see' the pipe cleaner, as in the stem is so thin that the pipe cleaner is visible?
Unless the deal is so good that it is worth getting a new stem, I'd say return it.
My 2 cents

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Okay. Full disclosure maybe will help with opinions. Mastro de Paja 1B/1 Sun. Sandblasted Billiard. Really fine condition save that issue. $115 is what I paid.
null_zps1af924e5.jpg

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Ask yourself if will you be happy with a questionable stem on an otherwise fabulous pipe. The answer to this question will dictate the answer to your original one. If it were mine, I would at least ask the seller to send out a new stem. If they don't go for that, ask for a partial refund to cover the cost of you getting a new stem. If they still don't bite, then return the pipe. I wouldn't even consider keeping a pipe that the seller wouldn't stand behind.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Either return it or pay for a new stem, cause I would not be using that stem. Like Cavendish stated, they may give a partial refund to help you get a new stem, I'd go that route first since you seem to love it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would ask them for a 40.00 credit which will allow you to get a new stem, if they don't go for that then return it. That stem will not last long as it is.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I wouldn't think twice. Return it. Just a matter of time before you bite through that bit.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have a chacom where you can see the pipe cleaner on the bask side of the stem. I did not feel mine was a cause for concern and I have never had an issue. All that said, I do not think my stem is too thin, just transparent at that point. My two cents.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Well I have a tough decision. I can return the pipe. I can also ship it back to the vendor (they will pay) for an evaluation, and if they find indeed it was too thin and they described it poorly, they'll credit me with 10-12% of what I spent- what they say is the price they would have reduced it should they have thought the stem thin. ($15ish)
Still really like the pipe. So, I can return I pipe I kinda don't want to let go, or screw around for 2 weeks with shipping for $15 in store credit. I'm tempted to keep it, take my chances, and if it cracks, off it goes for a new stem.
Ack.

Aug 1, 2012
That does not sparkle to get screwed around on this type of thing. If you don't mind, would you PM me the name of this vendor so I can keep a special lookout if I buy a pipe from them? If you love it too much to send it back, keep it, smoke it, and never buy from the site again.

Status
Not open for further replies.