PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
I have been reading on this technique and how it can be incorporated with breath smoking. Through reading I found difficulty in understanding what this really was. After viewing multiple videos on youtube, too many actually, that were of no help at all, I found one that actually made sense.
So, I have been practicing this technique on and off throughout the afternoon and I must say, my smoking experience, flavor/nuance wise has greatly improved. I have been revisiting blends , smoking in different pipes and picking up on flavors and subtleties that I had previously missed.
I wanted to thank all the experienced pipers here on this forum, not only for your experience, but in your patience and forethought to assist new pipers such as myself and many others. You fine people have really brought this experience of piping to levels of satisfaction I could not have achieved on my own.
So thank you all for your efforts,
Respectfully,

Carbon

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is another old school technique designed to help a smoker enjoy his pipe. Instead of using a tamper all the time, try covering the bowl with your first two fingers to get help keep the bowl lit. I have been using this technique since the 70's for other types of bowls. It is just quicker and easier keeping a bowl lit this way than reaching for a tamper and possibly tamping it too hard which will possibly extinguish the bowl.
If you have never tried it, a french inhale, followed by a retro can also be interesting.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Thank you cigrmaster. Yes, I have practiced "choking" the bowl. I will have to work on the french inhale :puffy:

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I love to Retrohale, I got so used to it that sometimes I don't notice that I am doing it, the tobacco taste goes up and it tastes wonderful, I got used to the burning of my nose, but maybe its just me but when I clean my pipe really good with the stem I get a more cooler smoke and my nose does not burn that much.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Which video did you find helpful? For those future searchers having trouble...

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
watch

This video made me understand retrohale, the part where he talks about being under water made it click for me, for some strange reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.