PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
As I’ve perfected my retrohale technique over this last year, I find myself doing it every other draw or even every draw.

I can’t help it, the taste is so much more pronounced and flavorful!
Am I alone in this obsession? Am I doing any harm by constantly retrohaling?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wouldn't recommend retrohaling to anyone, but if you have developed the habit and enjoy it, you probably aren't going to quit. If a person is enjoying pipe smoking without that, I'd say, don't start.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I realized that I was doing it inadvertently after almost every draw, probably as a vestige from my previous cigarette smoking. It does make the flavor more enjoyable to me, however it is not without drawbacks. Smoking blends with strong Latakia content (like Gaslight) tend to dry my sinuses out and I can get a headache if I am chain-loading that particular blend. Some folks, myself included, can have some irritation from Perique on retrohale as well. I get sneezing fits from Perique retrohale, and let me tell you that accidentally sneezing with a pipe hanging out of your mouth can have some pretty exciting results.
If it's not bothering you, then go for it!

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I'm doing it almost all the time but I wish I hadn't. I can smell Latakia for a long time after a finished bowl so there must be some "tar" in the sinuses or nose, most likely not doing any good to my organism. Not to mention that some smoke is probably unintentially inhaled during retrohaling. I'm trying to do it less frequent but fail most of the time. :D

james72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
I'm in the hundred-percenter club. I can't imagine smoking without retrohaling. To each his own, though.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I retro-inhale and have done so since I learned to smoke slowly and savour the flavours. Though not essential to breath smoking, it fits well with the technique.
Breath Smoking Article

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I clench therefore I retrohale. How else would you discern the nuances?
Mso, I've never seen someone NOT recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.