Retrofitted Saddle Stem on Dunhill Bulldog (with complications)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I haven't posted any projects in a while because most of my daily work is routine and therefore something most of you have seen before.
This was one of those "tries to bite you at every turn" ones, though, and therefore interesting. (To a shop geek like me, anyway.)
The pipe seemed straightforward enough---an average size Dunhill bent bulldog that the owner wanted a second stem for---but because it came with a tapered stem and the new one was to be a saddle, there were significant issues to deal with.
The first was that the shank is tapered to blend smoothly into a taper stem, meaning that if its lines were extended through the fat part of a saddle stem the result would be goofy. The barrel (fat part) would be pyramid-shaped, with the blade narrow where it exited the saddle and then flaring sharply into a fishtail to have an adequate width bite zone. But simply ignoring the tapering shank and plugging in a "square" stem would also look bad. Like a "Frankenpipe" made of mis-matched parts.
Adding to the difficulty was the pipe's mortise had been drilled significantly off axis (crooked). Such mistakes/sloppiness can be "buried in the visual mix" with bent taper stems, but cannot be ignored in the slightest when dealing with square saddles. If the planes of the shank and the planes of the fat part of the stem don't align exactly, the resulting "elbow" at the stem/shank junction is instantly obvious (and looks hideous).
Dealing with that last part meant cutting the entire stem at an angle to its tenon and airway. Since stem making relies heavily on symmetric marks and lines during shaping, "fudging" everything by eye was akin to improvising on a musical instrument. Live. With the famous person who wrote the song in the audience. :lol:
Anyway, here is the result from several angles. The entire thing is actually a bit of an optical illusion. The "eye-drawing" lines were kept in place, while considerable fudging was done in those areas that don't attract the eye. It isn't perfect, but I'm happy given the constraints/circumstances.
15DHN0s.jpg

IvbLtYn.jpg

KNzsYrU.jpg

gh4Sl5U.jpg

And just because, here's the original stem. The culprit behind all this. The button had been sanded down and the thick wedge behind it made the pipe difficult and tiring to clench.
tFmOjdT.jpg

And here's a close up of the wonky tenon necessary to "fix" the crooked mortise. Look closely and you can see it is both off-center and angled several degrees to one side.
Pri0NNi.jpg

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
George, I have to say that YOUR work on the piece is precision beyond compare...Dunhill's...not so much. You didn't mention the year it was made? Estate pipe, or original owner?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Looks great @georged! Job well done.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
George you're nothing short of amazing! It's hard enough to get a fit like that under normal circumstances. How you're able to do it given those variables is really quite remarkable. Dutch

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Wow! George, you're a magician! 1990? Might have been made in Italy.
Ahh, we gonna sticka dis piece in, and den we gonna shape it to fit, whatsamatta for you! :wink:
It does look great George.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
And there lies the problem with a poorly made tapered stem. When done correctly, they are a thing of beauty or a clunky, uncomfortable mess. I hadn't really appreciated all of the material planes required on saddle stem bulldog. I assume it would have been easier to recreate a properly proportioned tapered stem vs saddle.
Is there a way to slim down the OEM stem so the taper matches the modified button?

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Oh my.
i haven't been so impressed by any project here in a while. The attention to detail in this is quite wonderful.
Good on you, George!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I assume it would have been easier to recreate a properly proportioned tapered stem vs saddle.
Much easier. In labor and difficulty terms medium/normal length tapers are the easiest, with saddles in the middle, and geometric designs at the tough end. (Unusually small, unusually large, or unusually long stems also reside there. :lol: )
Is there a way to slim down the OEM stem so the taper matches the modified button?
Mechanically, sure. It would look goofy and probably be fragile (thin top and bottom of bite zone), though. In this case it wasn't an option anyway, since the owner wanted to keep the original as original as possible and switch between the two.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Hey that looks like my pipe 8O
Seriously I can't wait to get it back, it turned out just like I had hoped, though when I asked George to take the project on I didn't expect the various bumps in the road. It certainly will play a bigger role in my rotation now that there's a comfortable stem on it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yo, Pat :D
I didn't know you were a pipesmag forum guy. Pleased to meet you (so to speak).
And that picture... I keep thinking that I've seen you somewhere before... have we met? :wink:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
WOW! :worship:

I love seeing these "behind the scenes" projects!

Its truly amazing what you do George! That's some skill & patience there my friend!

Thanks for sharing these, looking forward to more.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.