PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
I started to work on a full bent billiard no name (imported briar is the only mark).
I was surprised when the steaming alcohol started to condense and return to the test tube with a pink then purple hue. I had my hands full so could not capture it with a picture but eventually it all became the colors you see here in the picture. Ill do this one or two more times to see if I notice a lessening of the yellow.
I know some people avoid estates because of the unknowns but I really like the challenge of the resurrection so to speak. This pipe looked like it maybe only needed a good cleaning of the bowl and stem. I would never stop there anyway, but you never really know whats been in that pipe. This pipe actually had a spider nest in the bottom of the bowl when I got it, pics posted under one of my posts under the general discussions.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burn anything, you get an unusual array of products (weird stuff in spooky colors). I am fascinated by the ecology of

creatures that take up residence in unused pipes--spiders, beetles, and other living things. A safe unbothered place.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Most of my pipes are estates. I try to buy ones that have already been restored, but sometimes the one I want is pretty dirty. I have a friend in Louisiana who is a magician at pipe restoration, so whenever one needs it, I just send it to him.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yeah, I swear by retorts. I'll only do them however after having worked nylon brushes, Qtips and cleaners to remove or dislodge the bulk of the gunk. Then I'll do retorts with boiling hot alcohol to leach out of the nasties from the exposed naked porous wood. Eventually the alcohol will run clear after passing through black, brown and various yellows. At that point the guts of the pipe are clean. I'll work the bowl first though, reaming back to wood, and wiping down the chamber with alcohol soaped paper towels, till clean. I see retorts as near the end of the cleaning process rather than at the beginning. If the pipe is truly grungy, I'll soak the strummel in multiple changes of warm alcohol. It's a chore, but well worth it if the pipe has value to you or your customer.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I actually like to start with super small brill bits in a pin vise on the nasty ones then hit them with the brushes and bristle cleaners and then regular cleaners. The retort comes out for extra super nastiness only. Of course I enjoy all the scrubbing and fussing :)

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
I decided this was not clean enough and am I glad I did another retort, I ended up doing three more and more to go. The first run I must have had my technique off a bit or else I softened it up for the 2nd pass.

Here is the 3rd pass

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
:wink:
estatepipegoo_zps5336eead.jpg

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I've used the retort method on a few estate pipes. I was amazed on how much crap was in there. It took a few passes to get them somewhat clean.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I can see the why (yikes) and the what (the retort gear) but not the how. Hoping someone can point me to a step-by-step of the process. Have a couple of stinkers on the bench right now. Thanks guys.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I've been meaning to pick up a retort set up for a few old estates. Where would you suggest I find one?

kgill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 11, 2013
I made my own. If anyone is interested let me know. I might be able to supply all parts if there is enough demand. I Would have to determine a price.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Those last two look like week old bong juice. We once got a guy to drink week old bong juice. This kid was from the Bahamas. His nickname was Bahama Butt Lick. It was very fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.