PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeude28

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2016
I have a few estate pipes that I bought and I cleaned out with alcohol and reamed out bowl. I just want to really sanitize it. I would like to make my own retort using a round 250ml volumetric flask. I also want to attach surgical tubing from the flask to the tube and from flask to the stem of the pipe. Anyone familiar with retorts please give me advice. I would like to use 1/4 inch thick surgical tube and was wondering if that would be ok.

May 4, 2015
This sounds dangerous. If all I'm doing is worrying about sanitizing, I'll swab it with alcohol a few times. Best of luck. 8O

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
No germs but hardened gunk, so retorting an estate isn´t that far fetched. A lot of us do it all the time.
250ml is way too large for a retort, go with a tenth of it. You can find silicone tubing on Ebay. Of course it has to be wide enough to stretch over your mouthpieces. I fixed mine with a cable strap to the retort. For heating I use a hot air gun, much safer than an open flame. Stuff some cotton balls into the bowl and try not to boil it over the outside of the bowl. If that happens to me I simply restain the pipe but you might want to stick to your original finish.
Good luck!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Flush it three times with very hot tap water, dry thoroughly and the next day fire up some good tobacco. Scrub the stem thoroughly inside and out.
Retorts are for last resorts!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Oh, I thought you wanted help with a witty comeback to another forum member. I was going to suggest bashing some random retailer.
But since this was a serious question - I picked up a retort kit (complete with witty oratory) on the bay pretty cheap. I don't like doing it though, just seems like an accident waiting to happen.
JP, tell me more about this flushing. I've heard some folks use boiling water. Does it get the estate gunk out? What about excess cake?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Does it get the estate gunk out?"
Half of the gunk is tar based therefore not water soluble. I use alcohol to remove all tarry deposits and hot running water as a freshener more than anything though it will flush out muck that the alcohol missed.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I haven't done even a quarter of the number of estates Jay has done, and most my estates have been previously cleaned. So, I'd try the hot water (not boiling for safety) first. If that doesn't do it, then harsher measures.
It does nothing vis-a-vis cake. I'd ream the cake to a suitable level as a first step.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
As John points out, the reaming goes afore any alcohol/hot water treatment. Not only is hardened cake a nuisance it also holds many nasty tastes and other unwanted detritus.
Therefore perform a good reaming afore moving onto the next stage.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.