PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Well the word is out that Canadian pipe maker Julius Vesz is retiring so I grabbed this Oxblood stained, bamboo shanked sitter that I dubbed the morning after sitter before coffee! ;)

banjo
6f33534245735186eb222259de4d1543d6e02ea.jpeg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
fishbanjo, since you're the resident bamboo collector, perhaps you could comment on their construction in general. I read that Zak24 uses a tube insert to prevent collapse of the bamboo, but I gather that not all bamboo requires such engineering?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Lovely restrained take on the shape. Beautiful choice Fish. I've really come to appreciate poker/cheerywood pipes recently and have to admit that is one of the finest. Rarely am I envious, but boy Banjo, that's a winner. Many happy smokes!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
newbroom,

Unlike bamboo fly rods where only 3 of the 14,000 plus varieties of bamboo are used I've seen more than a dozen different types used in pipe making. The Danish makers used stainless steel tubing, some went through the bamboo much like the Innertube went through some of Dunhills pipe, although they were removable.
Missouri Meerschaum pipes used them in the past and lately they are becoming available limitedly and they do not use any type of tubing be it stainless or graphite. When the Danish makers used it they went from just behind where it entered the bowl and with room left for the stem to fit into the shank, they sometimes did it so both the stem could be removed from the shank and it might have been a normal tenon or one of stainless tubing, they often made the shank removable from the bowl using the tubing as a tenon as well.
I believe Zack saw this at one of the pipe shows another maker showed him. Bamboo is very resilient and once it has dried I doubt it would collapse because the only soft spot is the actual membrane that separates the leaf nodes, what we call knuckles, the reason tubing is used is it ensures a straight run with a pipe cleaner not getting hung up on the wall of a membrane. Keep in mind not all of the membranes are thin, those that are thick will more than likely pass a pipe cleaner and the thinner ones more apt to have a cleaner roam depending on the distance to the next knuckle.
All of the best bamboo pipes being made today use either stainless steel tubing or graphite tubing, I hope this makes things clearer, warm regards.

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fish', wouldn't steel tubing eliminate the admired drying effect of the bamboo stem? I thought that was one of the rewards of a bamboo stem was its special properties in drying out the smoke, slightly but noticeably.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
A big shout out to Banjo!
All my pipes save my sav 320 are arrow straight and I've long wanted something like an Oom Paul, but smaller, more interesting and more, I dunno, organic. Lo and behold, the raindrop! Exactly the kind of pipe I was looking for and until this thread appeared I had no idea the shape existed. A bamboo stemmed, tan raindrop in on the way, can't wait!
So thank you Banjo for the introduction to Julius Vesz and the reminder that I have, in fact, been living under a rock! :rofl:
Edit: Is your poker shape #55? I looked at a few and may add one more. It's quite the charmer!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Congratulations on the Raindrop, the one I really liked was spoken for so I went with the one I purchased. There wasn't much of a description regarding shape # simply length of pipe and bowl height so again I opted for the shortest bowl height hoping to keep it in my wheelhouse for group size, regards.

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.