PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
An old friend died last April after a rough winter facing a serious medical situation. :cry: We shot competitively in high power rifle matches and often smoked pipes on our drive to/from distant matches. Although he was 78 and I am 52, we had much in common and he had become a good friend over the years.
A week ago his widow called and wanted me to drop by for a visit. I had intended to do this anyway, but her call was a nice surprise and I went last Sunday. She had been going through some of her husband's things and wanted me to have his "left over" tobacco. She had it bagged in two plastic Wal-Mart sacks on the kitchen table and thought I should take it since she knew of no family member that smoked a pipe. I thanked her for the gesture and we had a nice visit.
In the car, on the way home, I peeked inside the sacks and was surprised at what I'd found.

I have four tins of Deep Woods from '08.

I have five tins of Escudo from 2003.

I have two tins of 3 Oaks from 2009.

I have five tins of 3 Oaks Syrian from 2008.

I have three tin of No. 22 Virginia from 2003.

I have one tin of Royal Cajun from 2009.
Pretty nice stash ol' Roger had. I wished he would have smoked it rather than save it for someone else. It saddens me a little to think that he invested the money in nice blends and the time to age them, but didn't get to enjoy the reward.
I came home and looked at my own cellar and couldn't help but think, "Who the heck am I saving this stuff for?".
I can't really think of anything else to say, but this has been bothering me all week.

I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I'd say you had a hell of a friend there and I'm sure the memories are priceless.
Myself, I don't tend to keep a huge tobacco cellar for a few reasons. I can't afford to buy too much, don't have too many places to store it, and then I really like to smoke what I have before deciding on more baccy. For the latter of these reasons, I'm still exploring and finding what I like. Looking at some other's stashes, I haven't even made a dent in the different blends, lol.
So speaking for myself, I'd smoke and enjoy as much as I wanted, trade or give the rest away.

maduroman

May 15, 2010
yes it is something to think about. i have cigars that are over 12 years old but will not smoke em because then they will be "gone". allso have tins of SJF that i will not open because it is so hard to find.
it is human nature to save up for times of famine so smoke your friend's left overs and think of him while you do. my wife knows what to do with my stash if something happens to me, and it gives me peace to know that if i don't smoke it, they will and think of me when they do...

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
First of all, let me tell you how sorry I am to hear about your lose.
I personally beleive you should smoke it, thinking about him as you do so. I imagine that your friend would want this, knowing a friend is enjoying the pleasures of the pipe.
As for your own cellar. Maybe it is time to begin breaking out some of it. When I was little, I use to hoard candy, waiting for that day when I needed it. And it all went to waste. Now I'm not saying that you should just toss your tobacco or that you should hand it out. Enjoy it. Sure, having a cellar that could last you five life times is nice, but there isn't a point if you are not going to crack it open.
And if it seems like you have to much tobacco in your cellar, and you need to give it away,I know a certian someone who could help you out... :3

clanobucklin

Jan 19, 2010
Well as a friend of mine said:
Q: How much money did Nelson Rockefeller leave when he died?

A: All of it
Kind of a sobering thought. But what the hell...I still like have a lot of variety to choose from that is why I stash my pipe tobacco away. :wink:

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
Again sorry for your loss and i agree as to how your thinking. I am astonished to see the amount of tobacco in some cellars. I dont begrudge anyone doing this as we live in a free country. If they plan on selling for profit at some point they are entitled to do so. But is over 100 pounds really necessary? Are huge cellarers preventing others from enjoying scarcer tobacco? Will a tax tobacco increase cause one to not purchase tobacco ever again? As a cigar smoker when schip taxes went into effect it was a minimal increase for me and most retailers and or manufactures miraculously have reduced prices to compensate.Just my random thoughts! I hope you enjoy your friends stash as im sure it would have made him happy.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Sorry for your troubles, mlaug. Enjoy the tobaccos and spend time recalling your friend.

The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself. As for your own cellar...buy tobacco if you enjoy it, smoke it if you enjoy it. Don't spend a moment trying to estimate the value of everything you've bought; just try to quantify the pleasure you get out of life.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I can imagine the loss you feel not having your friend around. Enjoying his blends will help you cope with the loss, and make you feel reconnected with him. I don't have a cellar any more, everything I have I smoke.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
I agree wholeheartedly with romeowood! I am sorry to hear of your loss. Enjoy your memory of your friend. You are lucky to have it. Cheers mate, and be grateful that being a good friend earned you good friends to remember. It is a compliment to you that you ended up with his stash. Do whatever you feel he would have wanted with it and you will be honoring him. Best to you.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
best thing we should all do, is write down a short list of your treasured material things and who you want to have them be gifted to, when you cross over to the other side....be prepared, otherwise alot of it WILL get tossed..been there done that with my relatives things.

Sounds like you had a great friendship.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I'm with Bootlegbonvivant. I have my variety of smokes and I smoke what I have. There is too much to worry about in life from taxes to the cost of oil and gas so I don't worry about the availability of tobacco. I smoke what I like and always have a standby reserve but never a bursting cellar. Between all of us brothers, I am sure we will always find a way to "accommodate" each other one way or another if the weed ever becomes scarce in one state or another. As long as the post office and FedEx remain in business I place my trust with Brothers of the Briar. Ted Swergen...hope you copy!

Status
Not open for further replies.