PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggles

Lurker
Sep 25, 2015
Atlanta
I have tried and tried over the years many different ways to retain a shine of some of my polished burls. Especially my Nording freehand...where the clear coating has become a little uneven in shine. Whether carnuba wax, olive oil or some of the special pipe shine chemicals out there, they all just do not cut it. Olive oil in fact works great but only lasts a day or so.
Any advice or tricks that have worked for you all?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
First, I'd avoid adding oil to a waxed pipe.
Second, pick yourself a Dunhill pipe wipe to keep your smooth pipes sparkly.
After you've finished your bowl, and you've cleaned out your airway and chamber (cleaners and a paper towel ream), then just wipe the pipe down with the pipe wipe. It's felt that's impregnated with a silicone wax and it will help maintain a polish on your pipe.
I tend not to do this, and once a year or so will clean the surface of my smooth pipes with a damp cloth, and then give them a spin on the buffer with some new carnauba.
-- Pat

Jun 4, 2014
Pat is right get a pipe cloth, give them a quick polish before you set it back into the rack and you will be good to go.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
I'll third the Dunhill pipe wipes and also suggest Paragon Wax. It does a decent job, but does need reapplication fairly often to keep a high shine.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I use a sham-wow, while the pipe is warm I give it a good rub. I'll also use a little spit on a paper towel and wipe the rim to get any kind of residue off the rim.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I am with Pat too. Never oil a pipe and use a microfiber cloth to polish the pipe after smoking. I give my pipes a coat of carnauba with the bench buffer every other month or so. Holds up pretts well....

Mar 30, 2014
wv
After the pipe has cooled, I wipe it down with a dry microfiber rag. Every few bowls, a damp rag for the rim followed by a dry microfiber. This keeps them looking pretty good for a long time.
No oil.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I really need to do something with my old dulled out pipes/stems. It's my next thing to learn...and would love some recommendations for rusticated/carved pipes as most of mine are. Currently no access to anything to buff with. I have a feeling my new to me dremel tool is too much for something like this...and I've never used one :) Don't mean to hijack the post but it's in the same area as your question.
Can someone please explain to me the effectiveness of the pipe wipe/paragon wax on OLD pipes that likely have little to no wax left?

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
If there is NO finish, the wood should still take a shine with a soft cotton cloth (maybe a little spit). It just won't have the nice glossy look to it. Rusticated would be hard with all the nooks and crannies. I'll leave it to the elders and those with more experience to let me know that one. My pipes are pretty bad too. I keep them clean and wiped down. The salts and moisture from your skin will dull bare wood and can damage a nice finish. Guitarists have to wipe down their necks etc. after a show to keep from eating into it. The wipes get rid of that stuff. Maybe you can send them somewhere for a polish. Its not in my budget and I know they'll keep til I get my own setup. The wax does protect the wood, AND it looks nice.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wax won't really "shine" a briar pipe, just protect. Wax over a matte finish will still yield a matte finish. White diamond or the like followed by wax is the best way to add shine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think wax and polish look real nice for a day or two, but the residue draws dust and can cause build-up, especially if there is any texture to the finish. I get better results just using a polishing cloth or a bandana with a little sizing left in it for abrasion. It may be superstition, but I've always thought that you get better results if you polish the pipe while it's still warm after smoking. The benefit of just doing this by hand is that you don't take off much finish, if any. The idea, over time, isn't to make the pipe look new again forever, but to develop a nice gentle patina that brings out the luster and wear in a good way, which is what I really want. I hadn't thought of wax affecting the taste, but I can see that would be true.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Re. wax on the outside of the bowl and flavor, some of the best smoking comes with pipes with a minimal of finish, like "unfinished" pipes (that develop a patina but don't have much if any applied finish), cobs, and clay pipes. I do have some pipes with high gloss finish that also smoke well by simply being sealed (apparently). But I can see that coating and clogging a bowl that has a more porous, breathable finish might affect the flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.