PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

qballrail

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
WA
I wish I could post pictures but alas, there is no option to do so.
I have rusticated a briar and finished it with wood stain by advice of a pipe repair "expert." I am now re-thinking this course. Is there a way to eliminate the stain odor? Should I start over? Any advice welcome. This is my first time doing something like this and I was pretty proud of myself at first. Now, not so much... Please help.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay, Amazon, you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos in the "Latest Discussions" box,

LINK to that thread

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Strip the stain off with grain alcohol and cotton pads, q tips and magic erasers if need be. Re stain it with leather dye. Before you do, watch some video on YouTube for a few tips and techniques.

qballrail

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
WA
Uploaded some pix of the pipe.
20181226_102611-600x337.jpg

20190104_140215-600x337.jpg

20190104_144932-600x337.jpg

I've a feeling I used the wrong type of stain. Like I said, I thought it was a reliable source. Really hope I have not ruined the pipe for smoking...
Thank you for your input and direction!

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
I see a can of Minwax and have to imagine this is the product you used. No! Leather dye is fine, mainly I mix up RIT powder in alcohol.

qballrail

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
WA
Any kind of stripper? The only one I can find is an actual stripper that requires gloves. Not sure if that's too strong or not. How about acetone?
I tried 99% isopropyl to no avail. Grain alcohol seems to just leave stain on the rag, but the stain on the pipe is still pretty dark.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
If the stain is t coming off with alcohol, you will need to do some sanding. That should take care of it. Be careful not to over sand. Don’t be upset with yourself, this is how learning happens

qballrail

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
WA
Sanding will render the rusticstion smooth, correct? So I pretty much need to start from scratch?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Hot water and soap scrub is a good idea. Try that first. After that, you’re back to the beginning.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
If the less invasive methods don't work and it needs to be physically removed then just rusticate it off.

qballrail

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
WA
Here's something that just occurred to me, is it not smokable with the stain that's on it now? I know wood stain like this needs to be left to cure, so if I wait to smoke it for a few days, would it then be "safe" or is there a chemical problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.