PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
So one of the pouches that I got this week was a little on the dry side. I was thinking of putting it in a pyrex bowl and covering it with a hot moist towel to try to rehydrate it. What would you recommend for rehydrating the tobacco?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Spread it out in a Pyrex baking dish and stretch paper towels over the rim that have been soaked with distilled water. Don't let the toweling touch the tobacco. Go do other things for a couple of hours, then check the tobacco. If it needs more time leave it alone for a couple of hours more and check again. Just make sure to use distilled water to keep the toweling moist and keep it away from direct contact with the tobacco.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
I seen you online and said haha perfect time to ask this question. Thanks for the info.

May 4, 2015
Some folks would tell you to put an apple slice in the tobacco.
Tell those people that that's an excellent way to promote mold growth and then do what sablebrush52 said.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Yep, everything that Sablebrush said. I do turn my tobacco every hour or so just to try to ensure consistency. Once it gets to that "springy" feel you are good to go.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Just lay one Gawith flake out in the center of your tobacco cellar.
It will hydrate everything....
jay-roger.jpg

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I've use a light misting of distilled water over the course of several days to slowly re-hydrate in my storage container as needed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You can also use a shard of pottery soaked in plain water, drop it in the jar and seal. Check every couple of hours and mix.
You can be accurate with an inexpensive hygrometer, about $5 on Amazon.
I've seldom disagreed with Messrs Pease or Silver, but I just don't get the need for distilled water. (Save if your water has a smell of chlorine—or anything odoriferous.)

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
You can also use a shard of pottery soaked in plain water, drop it in the jar and seal.
I've done the same thing with a pipe cleaner - new and unused, of course. Roll it into a coil, soak it in water, shake it off so it doesn't drip, and leave it in the jar for a few hours or even overnight.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Agreed with Sable.
After placing the damp paper towels over the dish, place a piece of saran wrap over that. Bone dry dusty tobacco will rehydrate in just a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.