PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
Hello folks . While reading , i found lots of detailed posts on restoring and polishing stems . I cant seem to find a detailed bowl refinishing . how to sand , what grit start to finish . how to buff and polish , and what kind of stain . Can I get some detailed tips in order . I want to try to repair a Briar bowl from a Portland Bruyere , Italy . I have 3 of them , and I would like to completely restore it myself . With yall help , i have done the stem today , and I am really satisfied . But I cant find enough detailed order on bowls . some wax , some sand , stain then buff an wax . whats the best way after cleaned reamed and salt tratment is done . I just emptied salt and everclear and am eager to start . Excuse my poor grammer and English I am multitasking to the extreem tonight . thanks again .

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
There will be many more answers to come from the rest of the guys here,but heres what I do normally.
1.If you're planning to re-stain then go ahead and start sanding with 400 grit to get all the old stain off so it's an even color.Then you can stain it using Fiebing's leather stain, make sure to wipe off excess before it dries.(continue to 3.)
2.If you're not planning on re-staining then.I start off with a standard kitchen scouring pad with a little alcohol to break up any gunk, on to #0000 steel wool to smooth it out some depending on hard I needed to scrub with the scouring pad,Then I personally use a Dremel with a clean buffing pad just to get any left over gunk and such so nothing gets under the Micro-mesh and makes scratches.
3.Using Micro-mesh run through all 9 grades, the color will lighten some depending how much pressure you use and use caution around the hallmarks because the can disappear from the micro-mesh,once you get to the last few you'll start to see it shining but keep going cuz it only gets better.I then use the dremel with a Carnuba wax dedicated buffer pad and apply the wax.Let the pipe sit for a little while to let the wax cool/harden then buff it again with a clean buffer pad then give it a good rub down with a Jewelry cleaning and buffing towel.

Then I personally sit back and ooogle it for a little while before smoking it.I think that's all of it,I hope it helps and be sure to post before and after pics as well

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
Thanks but the dremmel scares me a bit . I build electric guitars and dremmels don't do good with small wood parts . It isn't forgiving enough , the pads are too small and get too hot IMHO . I just ordered a table top two wheel buffer/polisher . I will experiment with a dremmel on some stems though . I do appreciate the info . I just finished with a Mr. Anderson bulldog as my first partial restore . I'll post pics Friday . Be blessed .

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I have not used a Dremel for any pipe or stem work but I do recall reading that they require even more care on stems than bowls for the reasons you mentioned.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
No machines mate. All by hand with just a soft cloth for buffing and polishing. There is no need, and one shouldn't use alchol on the outside of the bowl. It will remove the stain or at the very least, fade it. Spit on your cloth, wipe the bowl. Repeat process untill you have no spit left. Dampen a cloth and polish the bowl untill your hands get tired. Let it sit for a couple days and you are good to go with your wax.

Status
Not open for further replies.