PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I got this old Delacour pipe a few weeks back, and while cleaning the mortise out the crud took a while to remove, eve though it had soaked in alcohol for 24 hours.
The original cork was in bad shape when I got the pipe, and after cleaning out years of tars and gunk there wasn't much left.
I removed the remaining cork with an eXacto knife and touched up with sandpaper.
After determining the measurements, I ordered cork. Cut the size needed, a little Contact Cement and viola...
Fits beautifully...
167qlx4.jpg

OK hosting is acting up...so pics later guess.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Yes the stem is horn. I repaired tooth marks and a hole with superglue mixed with cornstarch and sanded the areas that were repaired. Polished and waxed.
The pipe was made in the late 1800's - early 1900's, so it's the oldest one I own.
Delacour pipes

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Filled the cavernous "train tunnel" draft hole today with a mix of waterglass and 4f pumice. Now it has a properly sized draft hole that's nice and round. A few days to cure and it will be ready to smoke.
IMAG3194.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
After the patch had set, I smeared a thin film of grape jelly and shook some powdered tobacco. It sat for several days, and I took it out tonight. Smokes real good. On my second bowl. Draft is a tad tight, I might open it up a bit.
IMAG3198_1_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.