Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
As a some-time restorer of pipes I often have to deal with pipes that have a damaged bowl, or more specifically, the person who smoked it has knocked out the pipe to such an extent that one side of the bowl (often the side nearest the shank) has a damaged rim....sometimes this damage takes a good wedge out of the briar in fact. I am wondering if anyone here has any experience in restoring these; is there some kind of filler which can be applied then stained and polished as for briar? I know that some members on here have posted good information about restoration, particularly ichbinmuede, but this does not seem to be mentioned anywhere
all/any advice appreciated

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
@pentangle
no, i would classify that one as "undamaged"- i will try to post a picture up here, but i dont have much luck with my pics on webshots
2314585140032963306S425x425Q85.jpg

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I know what you're referring to, scotrob. I have a few of those myself that I have yet to find a proper way to fix, other than sanding/evening the bowl down.
Pentangle, that type of thing is rather easy to fix, being that it's just tar build up and charring.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
yes- one side of the bowl is actually worn down into the briar, so it has a noticeable dip when seen in profile

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
undamaged the one i bought? or your? Mine had two lateral blows deep over 2 mm probably 3 that i removed changed shape a little on the back pipe by sandind polishing and doing re-color again with the right color.At finally looks like new

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
ok i see. I have had similar problems.Sand the top with 80 grain then 240 then 1000 polish it find the right color by bix of color and make a clomplete buffing.Be sure you can obtain a pipe like new only few mm low than original

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated! so it looks like the whole top needs to come down a few millimeters....I had planned to list this on ebay tonight as its a nice pipe otherwise (Big Ben Oxford) but i may rethink now. I would of course include pics of the damage in the listing but I not sure how much to expect for a restored Big Ben anyway, maybe its not worth the hassle this time

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Although you couldn't do it with that pipe sometimes you can steam out dents with an iron. After removing any wax or lacquer I lay a wet cloth over the dent and using an iron set on high ,hold the iron against the cloth for a few seconds. May have to do it a few times a few minutes apart. Won't take them out completely but as long as there is no wood removed from the area it will generally lift the dent somewhat. You can also for very light-shallow dents sometimes just use the steamer on the iron to lift them,holding the iron a couple of inches from the bowl.I don't steam them unless I intend to refinish the pipe as the heat seems to lift the stain.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
@ ejames and bootleg
yeah I have tried the steaming on very small knocks on both bowl and stem, works well....in fact, using the steam setting on an iron works just as well as the damp cloth method

Status
Not open for further replies.