PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
So about a month ago I put a bid in on a group of 10 Dr. Grabow pipes on Ebay. To my surprise I won. I paid $42.00 for these ten and decided to start on the Commodore as the first subject to restore. I should have taken a few more 'before' pics on this one but I will do so on the following restorations.

A plastic stinger fell out when I first un-threaded the stem. I am not sure when Dr. Grabow replaced the aluminum stinger with the plastic stingers, but from reading, I see that the Commodore was first introduced circa 1964. I'm thinking this pipe is more circa 1980's or younger. Some of these pipes were so caked up that I could barely get my small Leatherman knife blade into the tobacco chamber to begin the de-caking process.Anyway, I cleaned it up and through and through using my various tools etc. and it now passes a pipe cleaner soaked in high test spirits cleanly. Not sure what to smoke in it to start but maybe London Mix. Enjoy!

Before

qnmln6w.jpg

After

oBoGmRF.jpg

zVOPrFR.jpg

jE84C4B.jpg

2R4VIju.jpg

Toug1xr.jpg

oqmOfwM.jpg

8LFhnGD.jpg

l3xRb5v.jpg

IPGQE6X.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice grab on the lot of pipes! The resto looks 1st rate. :clap:

Thanks for posting all the pix. I hope you continue the thread to showcase the other restotations.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks, I appreciate your kind comments.

Orley, I'm still going to continue to make but I couldn't resist the temptation to get these and try to see what happens with them.

I'll keep adding to the thread as I finish each one.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Outstanding job Chris! :clap: Careful though, restorations are highly addictive! :P

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nicely done. She turned out real nice. I have some Commodore’s and they all smoke very well. That looks to be a correct scoop style stinger from the Commodore era. It should be aluminum not plastic. Drop it in a shot glass of alcohol over night.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks Folks,

Dave that is what I thought as well. I will try that and see what appears.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Dave, thanks for that information! You are correct. :clap:

I cleaned it up and it is aluminum.
56CmfQi.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, I like the discovery of the stinger material. That pipe is perhaps even better than original. The Dr. Grabow people often give you a lot to work with. The ones I've bought new are rock solid and really nicely finished, it's worth it to me to buy the Royalton with the acrylic stem, since they are quality pipes all around. Good pipes for $4.20 apiece is perfection. I'm glad these ten fell into your hands. Dr. Grabow maintains that factory pride; it's like they are producing brand new 1950's American cars.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Unfortunately, that stinger has been compromised, by the looks. I actually like using them when they're either one piece as in my older Linkman's models, or firmly in place so that you don't have to 'deal' with em coming out.

Great resto and I already know that you are impressed with it's function.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks, and as Mike mentioned; it smokes most awesome!

Here is resto-2 A Grand Duke.

This is before - I forgot to take more 'before' shots.

kv3pJxy.jpg

After - Sadly the Nomenclature was very weak going into this restoration and it is all but gone now.

52ERkpU.jpg

FUc8tTt.jpg

SZB0aFc.jpg

VHzOhQb.jpg

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Indeed to add to the rest... awesome job. You made that first one worthy of a formal night out. ; )
I once saw a used pipe for sale that had a 30year old bowl pack inside. The guy said I don't smoke and I thought it would add to the nostalgia. I said EWWWW.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Yeah! You got your money's worth! Nice job! Pure smoking pleasure right there. Classic.

This is getting good. I am hoping for a group picture, eventually, of the whole batch completed.

A 10 day set of Grabows! Carumba!

Status
Not open for further replies.