Restored An Old BBB Dublin.... How Old Is It? (Pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
This is the second old BBB that I've bought, and it too was in pretty bad condition. I guess I'm a sucker for old beat up pipes! It took a lot of elbow grease on this one, and I resisted the urge to go over board on the removal of the chips, dings, scorching, and scratches on it. When I saw it on ebay, I was intrigued by it, as I liked the shape and the grain. All in all it cleaned up pretty nice, and I don't mind the $16 I paid, as it's the type of pipe I like.
It's stampings indicate it to be a two star pipe. It has the BBB in a diamond shape, with two stars (asterisks) on one side, and made in england, 502 on the other side. The stem has an inlaid brass rondel with the BBB logo in a diamond shape. I did a little research on BBB and I've got to say it's not real clear to me, but from what I've read this is not a top quality pipe, but not necessarily a second either. I can't seem to put an age on this though. All the two star pipes I've seen and read about indicate that they should all have a stamped logo on the stem, not the brass one. And I can't seem to figure out what years they were actually made. Hopefully some of the BBB collectors here can help me out with this.
You'll have to forgive the pics, I haven't been feeling the best, and it makes me lazy, plus my old point and shoot wants to make all my briars look more orange than they are. I try to fix them in iphoto, but not always successfully. My wife has photo shop on her computer, but I can't figure it out, and it makes me crazy... :crazy:

Before pics:

img_0183-600x323.jpg

img_01851-600x341.jpg

img_0187-600x317.jpg

After pics:

img_0212-600x334.jpg

img_02101-600x332.jpg

img_0223-600x316.jpg

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Very nicely done, that rim cleaned up better than I would have expected.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Orkney, that's a humdinger! I cannot help with the age. I just bought an old mid 30's Linkman's Dr Grabow and resisted the urge to over do it. Left the patina and dings, removed the grunge.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Fantastic work! The pipe COULD talk and it was saying "help me".
I have no idea how you get your stems that nice AND preserve that logo. Bravo!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I collect older BBB's (c.1900-1920), but I'm not very good with the later ones. Shape numbers and brass emblems didn't appear until the 1930s, I believe. Also, sometime around 1950, they changed the look of the B's, from simple script to a more rounded shape. I'll do some reading and check back before long.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Ok, it's definitely 1930s or later. If you have a close-up of the metal emblem, someone might can tell whether it's pre-50s or not. Is it smooth except for the Bs or is there a sort of background texture to the diamond surrounding the Bs? If there's a lined background, then it's post-50s, I believe. This link should help: http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/artbbb.htm
bbb-logos1.jpg

Or this translation: http://rebornpipes.com/2012/08/05/history-of-bbb-pipes/

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Ok, I managed to take a pic of the logo, and enlarge it. I'm not sure if there are or are not any lines in the background, but there does seem to be a little texture. Not sure, as the rondel is fairly worn. I initially thought that the rondel was brass, but on closer viewing, it seems to be silver.
Pitchfork, thanks for the info, although I had already read that article, and I'm still not clear about when they made the two star pipes, except they probably started in the 1930s sometime. It also states that only the upscale pipes had the metal inlaid logo, and the rest were stamped. So I still don't know what to think about this pipe, but in the long run it probably make little difference as I do like it. I have no plans to collect BBB pipes, but it is one of the British brands I find quite interesting. In general I just like old pipes and the history that goes along with them.
dsc_0086-600x413.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm out of my depth here, but I think the silver rondels like that one are pre-1950-ish. So this is likely an older rather than a newer pipe.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Two questions, How is the Made in England mark stamped, is the E larger than the other letters? Also the shape number, definitely 502, and not 507? I think no matter what, you have yourself a very nice pipe. Additionally, consistancy of markings of English pipe makers...not something that can always be relied upon. I would tend to agree with pitchfork, pre-1950-ish?
Dave

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Dave, the MADE IN ENGLAND stamping uses letters all the same height, and the shape number is definitely 502.
Oh, also, the pipe smokes great. Just finished a bowl of Anniversary Kake, and it had a very open draw with no funky flavors left over. I seem to have gotten better about my internal cleaning of pipes since I joined this forum about a year ago. With heavily smoked pipes, no matter the age, a thorough cleaning makes all the difference in the world when you smoke it the first time. This is truly a reborn pipe! :D
Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to respond to this thread. I really find old pipes and their history so interesting!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
My guess is that the Two Star line started at the end of WWII; the first mention I've found so far is dated 1945, which at least gives a tpq. I know the line lasted at least into the early sixties.

Status
Not open for further replies.