Restored a GBD Tapestry for My Hike!

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by shaintiques
  • Latest reply from mctrav
  1. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So in a few weeks my buddy and fellow pipe smoker, Jeff, and I are going to hike part of the Appalachian Trail. We are going to start at Mt. Lacont and hike to Cade's Cove, about 42 miles. I will take a few pipes, but I bought this GBD Tapestry specifically for the hike. It was pretty beat, oxidized stem, the rim looked melted and there was a good deal of old cake, but as you can see, it has been reamed, cleaned, rewaxed, and buffed. I sanded down the rim to make it even again. Should be a nice little smoker, only cost me $20. I had been wanting a tapestry for awhile and couldn't be happier with this one.

Rim still has some dings, but I'm making this classic my outdoor beater.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

You did a great job. I just love old pipes with character.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks great! I love those old Tapestrys. I only have one but covet another (or three lol).

Greg
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like damn good pipe for $20.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. rhogg

rhogg

Login to Send PM

So are you going to smoke while you hike or enjoy a pipe at the end of the day? Nice work by the way.

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will probably do both, hike and smoke, and at the end of the day. I just smoked a bowl and it smoked great, nice and light for clenching with a perfect effortless draw. I'm very pleased. This will definitely be added to my regular rotation.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the Tapestry/Chair-Leg club (I have two). What a bargain, both of mine are excellent smokers. Nice job on the restore. I think the stem may have straightened out a bit over time, you might want to heat and rebend that. A perfect hiking companion!

Al

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm good idea, I might just do that.

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great job, it looks awesome.

Harris
    Posted 6 years ago #
  10. mctrav

mctrav

Login to Send PM

Sounds like it should be an epic hike! Enjoy the outdoors and the pipe! 2 of my favorite things.

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   loadclear, chasingembers, ashdigger, ben88, sholto, josephcross, jiminks, tnfan, jpmcwjr, monkeylyf, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy