PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey Guys, I bought this pipe on ebay awhile back, it was in Bulgaria. I knew it was rough but didn't realize just how rough till it came in. The top of the bowl looked like it had been melted, it was all misshapen. The finish was almost black from tobacco residue, and the stem was extremely oxidized. After lots of elbow grease, sanding, cleaning and buffing, it is ready to be smoked. It still has some tooth chatter, but overall is in pretty good shape for being almost 100 years old. I had originally bought this to restore and re-sell, but it has a hairline crack on the top of the bowl on one side, so I'm just going to keep it and enjoy it. I love old Pete's anyways. I normally take before and after shots, but I just tore into this one and forgot. Here is the finished product.
image-28_zpsf2106eed.jpg

image-28_zps5eebe03a.jpg

image-28_zps6d072c6c.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Dave, looks like you did Obama Care on that pipe LOL, this is not a political post, just expounding on the lovely care and work done by Dave, as we will have done to us LOL, Ha Ha Ha Ha. The old cajun

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That is one great rescue job -- well worth the effort to pull it into the present century! :clap:
Does anyone know if that crack is the sort of splitting that occurs as a result of keeping the cake too thick?

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Shaintiques, great job on the restoration.
Did you use anything to seal the crack?
Rothnh, how much of a temperature swing do you think it would take to cause a pipe to crack?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I don't think a crack would happen from temp swings in storage, I can't imagine them being more drastic then smoking it, but I guess anything is possible. There is no telling when or how it happened. I'm going to fire it up in a little bit and see how it does. I did not seal the crack with anything but carnuba wax. .

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok, interesting. Well who knows where this pipe has been for the last 100 years, and I bought it from someone in Bulgaria too. And having lived in a Slavic country conditions would be interesting to consider what it has seen.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I hope all goes well with the pipe and its future. I hope the crack can be fixed so you can safely smoke the pipe without worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.